1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the division?

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by kelvin, May 7, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. kelvin

kelvin Registered

G`day Guys and Girls,
    Just wanted to get opinions and create some "Healthy debate" on the future of the division.

Keeping in mind what the category needs to do: Reduce operation cost, Increase car numbers, ensure the category is trully national and provide a sustainable and creative marketing platform to attract support.

With the loss of the very passionate and hard working Paul Britten a major void has been left in the division, and its up to the racers, fans, investors and sponsors to steer the division to a great future.

?:)

2. smoki8n

smoki8n Registered

You could always bring back the Sportsman Division

3. kelvin

kelvin Registered

G`day Smoki

Mate I think you are the right track in a round about way. The leval 1 guys need a place to hand parts to and the leval 2 guys need a place to compete on a smaller budget.

I dont know enough about the Sportsman division of the past to comment accuretly but I agree a Sportsman division of some type needs to be considered and those drivers and teams recognised for there contribution to the class.

My thoughts?
    DMA addopts the Big Block USA rule book.
    Sportsman division becomes small block using current engine specs for now, in the future review options for Crate engines. (That way no one has to spend a dollar if they dont want to)

Benifiets to the above suggestion=
    #1 Cars can be imported cheaply, (All other leval 1 divisions are alligned with the USA rules)
    #2, We can encourage USA drivers to bring there cars out and race with us.
    #3, The marketing potential for a state / national series is greatly improved with USA drivers.
    #4, USA rules will allow the division to grow in all states, making it a true national division.

Currently there are a number of reasons not to buy a modified or change over to the modified division, those reasons need to removed.
    This division has the potential to exceed everyones expectations and cater for big and small budgets.

4. kelvin

kelvin Registered

G`day Smoki,
    You make a very good point, I think there should be a home for a Sportsman type division and those racers with the smaller budgets need to be recognised for their contribution to the division.

My thoughts?
    DMA should adopt the full USA big Block Rule book, the sportsman division would become the current DMA rule book. That way no one has to spend any money if they are not in a position to do so. The sportsman division coud then be up for discusion after a 2 year grace period.

Advantages:
    • USA rules allow for USA technical support, encourage more manufacturers and allow cheap import of cars and components.
    • This will encourage USA drivers to tour Australia with the option to sell their cars here and make a profit.
    • USA drivers and cars allow the division marketing opportunity’s, for a state / national series.
    • DMA could use the changes as an opportunity for a national marketing and awareness campaign.
    • Creates interest from competitors within other divisions looking to change, because of the reasons above.

There are many reasons for other competitors not to race a modified, we need to remove those obstacles and encourage sustainable growth.

5. slidejob

slidejob Registered

i think sportman would help what i observe is guys can afford to buy the car but when an engine lets go thats when the car sit in the shed we have alighned with the us on most things now maybe we need to alighn engines ie 602 crate for the budget runners and open motors for those who can afford it. i think possibly also look at controlled rear tyres on maybe a harder compound for sportsman. only my opinion.

6. kelvin

kelvin Registered

I think your opinion is valid.
    #1 Align the cars with USA specifications, This allows cheaper imports and the option for USA drivers to tour.
    #2 Allow a sportsman engine of some type, This allows low budget teams to partisipate.
    #3 Ensure the sportsman teams are rewarded for there effort.

7. archie

archie Registered

Good Idea Kelvin

8. kelvin

kelvin Registered

The class needs to go national and encourage new teams,

#1 Full USA spec cars (big block) Benifits= USA teams tour Aus, fantastic marketing / investment options, cars sold into Aus, cheap cars to import.
    #2, Sportsman crate engines allowed. And the sportsman teams recognised for there contribution.
    #3, These changes would allow the sport to grow nationally and internationally.

Just my opinion.......

Every other leval 1 division is aligned with the USA rule book.

9. WA32

WA32 Registered

#1 DMA rule book has been widely amended over the past few seasons specifically with the intention of allowing the USA cars in to Australia.
    #2 There is nothing in the DMA rule book that say's you cant run a Sportman engine, in fact there are a few teams running them now.
    #3 Should there be enough teams running Sportman engines in any particular area or State, then it is up to the local State body to endorse a Sportman class within there own ranks.

10. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

The biggest change that would have the best effect on dirt mod racing would be inc the usa tire rule. If the 92" tire rule was introduced here in aus (just like in usa) then you find no need for sportsman class ss the low budget teams with smaller motors would be able to compete on a more leval playing field
    . The other advantage would be that 2nd hand usa imported cars could be raced as they are and still be competitive without modification to suit the monster right rear.

Cheers russ

11. mod15

mod15 Registered

w32 you have it spot on the rules are now in place to bring in a us car and run it as landed the only items that
    need to be changed is the front pusher $100 a bar under the seat you dont have to do any mod to run the
    larger right rear my car is as landed from usa and runs in the top 6-8 cars no big motor steel body shock
    most nights as for the spotsman it was apoved in 2006 by the DMA with with a set of guidlines for
    each state and members to run it by so it it is up to the member now to make it work

12. archie

archie Registered

I'd like too see another series like Summer Slam
    With more tow money rather then prize money to get interstate drives to attend

13. robferr

robferr Registered

In regards to running of the smaller tires 92" Dirt tire, in older rule books you could run three tire choices 34 x 17 x 15 Mc2 also a 32 x 13 x 15 SD44 and also a 30 x 13 x 15 SD44 which rolls out to 95" so why do we need to adapt the 92" Dirt tire there is no need too.We already have that option.

14. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

Hi rob, to answer your question dirt mods should run the 92 for the same reason the yanks do... PARITY!!!
    Seems to work for late models and dirt mods in usa.
    I cant believe aussies dont get it... Smaller tyer means less traction therefor budget teams with less horsepower still have a chance.

Cheers russ

15. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Everyone has valid points, the US tyre rule would even the playing feild of the three types of cars that come out of the US as that the moment the Troyers have the advantage in the Aust configeration due to the work that JBR and Bill (Troyer US )have put in over the past 4 or so years,It is true we need to cap engine prices to get more people interested, as the cars are quite cheap out of the US and cost around 5k to get them here. Bringing in the big blocks will not make the cars any cheaper it will divide the feild further when the crate motor guys have to run with the big block cars,Most of the good teams in the US have small block engine cars so bringing in BB wont bring drivers.$$$ and car counts will bring US drivers.Cap engine prices and you will get groth in our sport.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Hey Russ if you talk to Pete Britten he was amazed on how the cars hook up with the small tyre even with 800 hp.

16. Crashem

Crashem Registered

MOD15 how about posting on here what the DMA approved in 2006 for everybody to see.

From my recollection, what was approved in 2006 was a set of guidelines for Division 2 / B Grade style racing, not Sportsman.

6 years on and we haven't gained any significant number of cars from it, so the competitors clearly don't like what the DMA approved or don't know about it, either way it hasn't worked.

The DMA needs to forget about Junior Modifieds and focus on a budget class within it's existing structure for full sized cars with 602 crate engines and the small right rear tyre and promote it for what it is, "Sportsman".

The guys from Bicknell or Troyer told us when they were here that, the "Sportsman" division in the US saved Dirt Modifieds and there business, so why can't we learn from them.

17. mod15

mod15 Registered

Will do over the weekend when I work out how to up load the doucument . Its great to see some people have ideas on all this but when it comes to the time and place
    to do something about it at the DMA meetings were all this needs to be dealt with we are lucky if 4 or 5 people turn up The dma is made up of the members from
    all the clubs so bring all these ideas to the meeting so we can look at them all are welcome.We all have ideas about these subjects but what is needed is for pepole to
    follow up the ideas with how to make it all work . Lets say we go with some form of 2nd level with a 602 crate motor our first meeting let say is in november
    we have allready done the deals with the track promoters if we only get 4 crate cars and 12 open cars how do we run the heats how do we get the starting
    spots for the feature is it fair we have 12 cars in one heat and 4 in the other my point here is it is one thing to come up with new ideas some will work some not be we need
    to have the hole pakage sorted not just half an idea and tell the DMA to sort the rest out .Because when you start to look at how it will need to work it is not that simple a lot of time and
    effort is put in before we make any decision so it is very easy to get on here and say what the DMA need to do or not do so come along have some input were it counts
    at our meetings

18. scottcannon

scottcannon Registered

It does not matter the size of the tyre you run as the same guys will be up the front . Next thing every body will be wingeing about wearing tires out three times quicker ,thats what will happen when you go to smaller tires been there. The cost of engine is cheap ,it depends on who is putting it together. You can buy a brand new engine out of the usa best the money can buy for $30,000 landed. The cost of of racing has not changed in years, the only thing that has is getting to the track .50% of the people that winge dont go to meetings to voice there opinion,its the same people getting off there bum & running the division.

19. Crashem

Crashem Registered

Lets hope the new DMA is different to the DMA from a few years ago. How many times did we go those Open Meetings on the Sunday to discuss certain issues, only to find out that the DMA had already made it’s decision in Saturday's Closed Meeting with no input from the competitors, no wonder people don’t go.

20. Crashem

Crashem Registered

Gary, you’re a salesman, even you wouldn’t sell something that you couldn’t supply and try and get away with it, so don’t even try until there is something you can sell. (Maybe next year)

A tree doesn’t grow from a seed overnight, first you have to plant that seed, water it and wait to see if it grows, same thing with the Sportsman Modified.

Look what’s happened with the Jrn Modified idea, there’s not been one race or even a complete car built to the specs, but it’s already been promoted in the print media, DMA website and at the tracks and I believe there has been more than some interest, if you did the same thing with a true 602 Sportsman form of Modified racing, I’d be terribly disappointed if you didn’t get even more inquiries because I know there are a lot of guys that would love to race a Dirt Modified but won’t because of the cost, compared to say a Wingless or AMCA or other race cars.

As far as Heats and Features, run them all together like we do now until there “is” enough of them to run separately, give the winner a lousy $10 or $20 trophy if that’s what they want or they probably wouldn’t even care if they started behind the open cars as long as they were racing each other and not getting run over by the faster cars. The best thing to do is to ask the guys that are genuinely interested in this concept and not somebody that will never race this style of car.