1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the division?

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by kelvin, May 7, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. andy025

andy025 Registered

Any news from Agm? Positions filled etc??

2. mod15

mod15 Registered

There will be a press release in the next day or so that will outline most of the important items from the AGM so watch the web site

3. boatboy

boatboy Registered

4. robferr

robferr Registered

Very dissapointiing 1065KG who are we trying to penalize there it should be all or nothing, I have read the D.I.R.T rulebook infact i have downloaded it off the DIRTCAR web site, No 4/7 swap cams,No 4.125 bore short stroke engines and NO dry sumps,and the list goes on.
    Im confused it seems we want to adapt some but not all of the rules here i always thought we stayed with the steel head because it was the fairest way to keep the costs of racing down but now lets just go and open up a pandoras box and those who can afford to go fastest buy their results, not from hard work and research
    Sounds like time to change divisions.

5. mod15

mod15 Registered

Rob I think you have missed some of the content give me a call

6. slidejob

slidejob Registered

fantastic news form the agm finally we have 602 crate motors now watch the division grow wont it be great to see 12 open cars 20 sportsmans 2 full fields of cars and come final time if we have 12 open cars running tack the top 4 sportsman onto the back cant wait to see what happens. weight rule doesnt affect anyone as most cars are already heavy and any that are light are built using light componets which cost more money. great move dma you should be congratulated.

7. choppers

choppers Registered

how many sportsmans do you thinck that you will get in each state next year . how many new teams to the sportsmans class.

8. slidejob

slidejob Registered

i dont think you will see many next year but i beleive the following year you will. 602 crate motors in the states cost beetween 1500 and 4000 put that isnto secondhand cars here 6000 for th car on the track for around 10k cheaper than a wingless faster and more fun to drive and also a v8 bring it on.

9. bloodnose

bloodnose Registered

Some of these ideas are great - the one that really sucks and needs to be looked at is the different weight rules for different cars.
    Now I have a car that would fit into the 980kg bracket but if we are going to increase the minimum weight it should be for all cars - we are just making it harder for ourselves by increasing the weight for 'certain' cars.
    When you pick 3 or 4 cars every heat or feature at a title that need to be weighed what do we do now to see if they are under a certain weight catergory? Do you have to check log books in the middle of the track while weighing?
    This is just over complicating things and comparing apples with oranges.
    All cars should have the same minimum weight - simple.
    Anyways just my opinion and there are a lot more clever people out there than me.

10. mod15

mod15 Registered

Knot that hard realy the cars that need to be 980 KG can have a red or blue sticker attached in the window so it is visable when they are scaled

11. slidejob

slidejob Registered

[SUP]again this is all being done to suit the american cars if they want to go american they pay the price of weight why penalise an australian car if they have to spend money to put light weight components in let them do that dont penalise australian cars.[/SUP]

12. mod15

mod15 Registered

The reason for the rule change is to stop the need to spend money on light weight components the us cars are competitive as they are we don’t need to increase their perceived performance by allowing them to be lighter there is no disadvantage to exciting aus cars it is more of an advantage the way I see itto

13. oatesy

oatesy Registered

tell me this? why in the essence of trying to make a unified division, you have gone and segregated the different car types? it shouldn't matter where the car is from, unified rules. split weight sounds silly to me. i want in but cant afford it. the 2nd hand market is crap. i'd be able to make my aussie title winning stocker 3 or 4 times before i could get set up in a mod. and if u know me there is nothing i would love more than to be a part of v8 dirt mods. i just don't see how dma, clubs, etc are even trying to entice drivers like myself into the division. there is no direct pr. no real drive days, workshops etc. and like a have already said the second hand gear is a big step. if it means aligning with the us to create a natural flow of parts down the line to the "rookies" than dma i think u should consider a real comparason with the us rules. i know i might not have any major stake in the division now, but for the first 16yrs of my life i lived in these cars and i wanna get back to them.

14. jeff

jeff Platinum Member

how hard would it be to meet this weight rule for the current cars?? do you have to loose 10-20-30-100kg or does the driver have to lay off the hamburgers??

15. robferr

robferr Registered

Its not hard at all if you have a Aussie built chassis then you have to only conform to the 980 inc driver but if you own a American built chassis then you have to conform to the 1065 inc driver and as im told if you have a American chassis then you also shouldnt worry as your car will be close to the designated weight.

16. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

Im with you oatesy... run the usa rule book so the cars can br imported and raced "COMPETITIVELY". Put em on 92" right rear as per usa riles and it makes racing fair and cheap.
    The yank have it rite and the sooner we realise that the better off we will be.

Cheers Russ.

17. jeff

jeff Platinum Member

ok cool, so everyone is crying over spilt milk?

i only see the changes for the best! good luck guys, love the class and hope it grows from it.

18. scottcannon

scottcannon Registered

RUSS

I dont know how you think it is going to to cut cost by running 92'' tyre. The tyre we run @ on the RHR will last a lot longer then the smaller tyre & easier to set .With bringing a car from the USA to race the RHR tyre is the only thing you have to do to go racing competivitly .The engine rule they are working on know to come in line with USA.

19. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

Its really quite simple Scott, the yanks run the 92" inch because they believe it reduces engine costs and increases parity. The theory behind this concept is a simple one inwhich the competitors and promoters believe the smaller tyer reduces traction and levals the playing field for all competitors. Not only does save money on engines by negating the need to chase more.horsepower it also saves on wear and tear on other comonents releasing traction from the drivline. Its a concept the Australians for some reason fail to comprehend.
    And if honestly beleive that all you have to do is buy an amercan car and bolt on the big right rear tyer and you be competitve then im afraid you may never grasp this concept at all, but im sure your not the only one so dont feel bad... A tyer rule in varios forms is the number one choice for parity in most forms of motor sport all over the would. But not here in Aus we are truley non believers.

Cheers Russ

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Please excuse poor spelling and gramer, im blaming this damn phone. I cant see what im writing... grrrrr.

20. battynatty

battynatty Registered

Surely its all relative. Put a 92 inch tyre on and you are still going to have the same guys at the front of the pack and the same guys down the back, for a variety of reasons. A smaller tyre is not going to bring one extra car to the track, and I seriously doubt its going to make any difference to the racing. Its not going to make racing any cheaper- a guy with a $10k budget is still going to spend $10k and the guys with more to spend are still going to spend more! The yanks also believe it is a good idea to run sail panels, so I for one don't think we should be blindly following every rule they have!