1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the division?

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by kelvin, May 7, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. JBR Motorsport

JBR Motorsport Platinum Member

Increased costs of the tyres is not just because of tyre wear due to loss of traction, the 92 is not the same quality tyre therefore needs to be replace more often. We know this through our use of both tyres. Different shocks and springs will help to get the power down through the 92 with the different offset rims. So we can the buy tyres more often, buy more springs, more shocks, more rims, and more tyres to get different circumferences so how is that helping with the budget when we have our tyres lasting longer now, and don't need to buy as many shocks and springs. Once a couple of people start adding the extra components to run other will follow.
    It's not always about the big HP numbers. Correct setup will is more valuable. Even in the USA they will run the small blocks at particular big block races and take the points penalty for running the small block as they believe it is to their advantage.
    I am not sure if you know or not in the engine development side of things but the DMA is working towards bringing in a engine for the open division which will be more cost effective, and readily available. We have appointed one of our technical officers to do a full investigation and a trial may happen shortly.
    You can't just single out a couple of issues with the dirt mods and says if these change everything will be good. You have to look at the overall package. The DMA is moving forward in the direction that it believes will benefit its members. That's why a few change have been instigated: we have the new sportsmen section, new junior Dirt Modified division, a few changes made to specifications, and now the investigation of a future engine. I think the DMA is moving in the right direction to benefit its members.
    I knew you raced dirt modifieds a while ago before we joined them. It is a great class as u said. But with all things progression happens. Some people like progress some don't.

[U]"However i speculate that the bigger HP car of Robbo,s car may become a bit of a handfull even for such great driver and therfor loose a few tenths from his best times."[/U]
    How can you say that? We and the rest of the big block racers put the 467 big block with 900hp through the small tyre it handles it and car is not too much of a handful. So how can you say that the tyre will make the cars be a handfull for the so called bigger HP engines in our class at the moment?

Cheers Jane.

2. sills

sills Registered

Hi Russ proberbly the same existed with the 410 sprintcar deal less hp less cost maybe they should of went the 360 version or stuck with the 372

3. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

One things for sure sills the 410 had alot of opposition from aussie racers even though the yanks had been running them for years, they wont suit our tracks etc etc, nah it will never work!! And now that they run 410,s they are saying its best thing that ever happend to sprintcar racing in Australia. I guess it just takes a hell of lot to convince aussies that the yanks kinda know what thier doing.

Cheers Russ.

4. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Russ, Jane/JBR is the only person on this forum who can speak from experience with Peter in the US, jane would know the price difference of both combonations. Who wants to spend more on tyres then we are now? on a very good selling point and if the cars are harder to set up Mr average will be futher behind, dont forget not evryone has a setup book that comes with their car.

5. RussQ24

RussQ24 Registered

Chucky i never said the 92 would outlast the monster rr used at the moment. Less traction means more tyer wear... Like i said thats a trade off that would be well n trulely offset by savings in other areas (read my earlier post for examples of these areas).
    Russ.

6. robferr

robferr Registered

You dont need a set up book Chucky you need to do laps a set up book only gets you so far and the rest is experience and laps

---------- Post added at 05:37 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

The Teo set up book gives you set ups for most tracks in the USA and Canada but our situation is a little different to what they are used to it dosent quite take your car and set it up for you you still have to look at the track and guess what its going to do on the night and make the appropriate changes

7. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

I know all to well on how much work it takes to try and set up the current style car, what chance has someone coming into the class got of getting it right to start off with particaly if they have a Aust built car and through in a 92inch RR and they will be in a bit of a state.its only my opion but the 92rr will not bring people to the class nor will it save money as the US cars are built to take 850 plus HP our 620hp wont do S?/t. The DMA is putting into place cost saving measures on motors which will even out the HP poeple are getting that will have to be a good selling point,The DMA will not please everyone with the rules we just have to run what we are allowed to and go out and have fun,

8. robferr

robferr Registered

Well we all have to start off somewhere and i know myself when you get it right its a great feeling, thats the fun part of racing trying to beat the field ( a challenge) every one has to get it right on the night some do some dont but in the mean time laps laps laps and have fun

9. oatesy

oatesy Registered

I think everyone is getting too hung up on this whole tyre thing. It wont be the silver bullet.

But like i said before getting to a stage where the 2nd hand u.s. cars can be landed in aus put on a trailer and dragged to a track without mods will be a win for aus.

10. darren collins

darren collins Registered

hi guys im new to dirt mods i have brought the collier car and gear and i entered the division well aware of the cost of racing and travel aswell i will still have ryan involved with the car but as for cost and bringing people in i say don,t change anything leave it alone people love the class for the racing it put on, anything related to racing cost money so see you all at the track :)

11. Leaso

Leaso Holidaying

there is the BIGGEST WINNER for any class. Stop changing the position of the goal posts. While I agree with Russ on the tyre size I dont think that yet another rule change is gonna make thing any better off.

Freeze the rules so everyone knows what they have and for what period. It alows the budget guys to spend the cash in the areas needed to be up front. may take a few years but hey at least they have a point to aim for