1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GP Midgets

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by Rocket27, Jan 11, 2007.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

Just wondering if anyone still runs GP Midgets anywhere.
    Started my speedway days helping a neighbour look after a little ashpalt midget, became an official of the Tas GP Midget Assoc and spent a few years with the club. These days its Tas Mini Sprints, haven't had a midget here for a few years now. Be good to hear from anyone who used to be involved be it Tas, Vic or NSW.

2. SpeedwayBear

SpeedwayBear Platinum Member

I could be wrong but i think they might be exctinct in Victoria unless they still run up Wangaratta and Shepparton and Rushworth.

They used to be the Easter Trail sprintcar support class and havnt done that for about about 4 or 5 years as that role has been taken by Super Rods

3. col

col Registered

Theres about 10 still left ,they had there OZ title at Wang on the weekend

4. SpeedwayBear

Where do they race Col?

5. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

Ten left for an Oz title is sad, they were great little cars, think we had about 25 for the last Australian Title held here in Tassie. Was Chief Steward for it and remember going to the caravan park where they were all staying and the NSW boys couldnt beleive the Chief Steward would go and get smashed with the drivers after arguing with them all night. Had some good times. Was Assistant for one title, chief for another.
    Remeber Ron Methven, Bob Jeffrey, Garry Coleman, Clive Pollett, Ian Saville,(NSW) Noel Freeman, Tony Simone (Vic) are a few I can remember.

Had some pretty quick Tassie boys to, Bobby and Peter Redpath, Phil John, all ex Aust Champs along with Graham Bray and Mick King.

Unfortunatley, depending how you look at it, someone had the bright idea of building a mini-sprint to somewhere near the same specs as a gp and we ran a combined class for a while until the mini-sprint based machines took hold and gp's are no longer.

6. SpeedwayBear

Tony Simone went on to race #18 Open sprintcar then on to race a VSC Sprintcar.

Havnt seen his name in the sport for nearly 2 years. Could he have stepped back to them and raced in the Aussie title at Wangaratta?

7. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

He caused a big crash at the title down here, then went off his face, threw his helmet, I had a bit of trouble with, but his father saw my side of things so it wasnt to bad

8. col

col Registered

Rushworth Alexandra Wangaratta and i think they have 1 run at Avalon and they race at Redline at there Zone Title weekend in May

9. SpeedwayBear

Thanks Col, no race at Avalon though - ive been to every meeting so far and looked at the calender for upcoming events, they not on it

Cheers

10. Kart2

Kart2 Registered

So who won?

Sydney Sprintcar drivers of the GP Midget ranks include:

Andrew Stevens
    West Henderson
    Andrew Seckold
    Scott Matherson
    Adam Constable

11. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

Mal Lee started in gp/mini sprints and now runs sprintcars here in Tassie.
    Bobby Redpath still runs minisprints, as does Kerry Short, Phil John (ex Aust 1 in GP's) has just made a return to racing in a formula 500, as has his son Danny who had a few runs in GP's when he was a boy.

12. col

col Registered

Jason Sawyer from Victoria

13. davidt24

davidt24 Registered

Are Australian GP Midgets similar to the class of the same name run in the UK? Ie. often run sealed tracks and allow rear engines? I saw a couple of GP midget meetings while I was living over there. Interestingg looking machines some of them.

14. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

Original GP midgets were built to resemble a formula car, adn raced on the paved ovals that were around at the time. They were also adapted to race on dirt, but still retained the general appearance of a F1 type car.
    Thay were powered by motorcycle engines up to 1200cc and put in very respectable lap times (on ashpalt at latrobe almost equal to the bigger sedans).

15. Sprinters

Sprinters Registered

I just did a search on google for GP Midgets and came up with a few sites both in Australia and O/S

16. Compact9

Compact9 Registered

The GP Midgets are racing at Nowra this weekend. Theres only about 6-8 cars still running in NSW.

17. Compact9

Compact9 Registered

Make that 27 Jan

18. Turn One Judge

Turn One Judge Registered

They started as Micro Midgets , at places such as Liverpool City Raceway in the '70's . 750 CC Capacity Triumphs , etc. Legends such as Wally Kermond , Max Bradburn , Kevin Cox , Dennis Johnson were household names in the '70's , under the expert promotion of Mike Raymond. That was there heyday !!!!!!! Cheers , Ash.

19. Rocket27

Rocket27 Premium Member

20. OOOPS

OOOPS Registered

didn't micro midgets run at westmead before liverpool?