1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Drivers

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by Turn One Judge, Dec 18, 2007.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. G-DAD

G-DAD Registered

The W44 mini Ian Anderson raced was pulled out of the shed and fixed up so he could race it as a display at the Laang Speedway in Victoria 50th anniversery meeting in May 2007.However it only had a stockie engine minus the fuel injection that made it the beast it was.:)

2. oldsuperfan

oldsuperfan Registered

victorian guy from ballarat called terry grist,used to give the big bangers a hard time in the indianapolis stakes at bendigo years ago

3. sierra76

sierra76 Registered

Other early 70's Ekka drivers Bob Lindsay, Roy Olive and Bob Turner (Ended up with a ex Graham car). Peter Ambrose (Maryborough)
    Modified Production Mini drivers from South East Queensland late 70's
    John Lennon ,Harry Brazier ,Joe Ramia ,David Weir,Mark Pagel, Trevor Worling, Reg Raabe

4. Sopa

Sopa Premium Member

As G-Dad said, it made an appearance for the 50th anniversary meeting at Laang and will appear again the weekend at Premier Speedway's 50th Anniversary meeting.

The reason it had the stock engine as it was restored by Ian's brother Trevor as a surprise that was unveiled at the Laang Anniversary Dinner - the old motor was in Ian's shed. Bit hard to sneak that out from there with out him knowing!

The old injected engine is still there complete, but with Ian's recent illness and operations, the time to refit the old rocket has been directed elsewhere.

At this stage Trevor will be having a spin Saturday, if not I might get to have a steer!

5. SteveV

SteveV Registered

Geez, when did Paul McKew die? I'm not a mini fan at all but his battles at the Jerilderie/Motordrome circuit were legendary.

Bernie Roberts!!! How are ya mate? god damn, I've know you since high school. Are you still racing?

6. outside

outside Registered

paul Mckew died about 12 - 18 months ago

7. Bernie Roberts

Bernie Roberts Registered

Yes Steve, still racing, just got home from Australian Title at Mildura. my Carline Mufflers VE Commodore had a few handling problems ( & maybe driver error also) & we only made it to the C main. This is my 33rd season. I heard Paul McKew was at Gunnedah in November in the crowd for NSW Title & only recently passed away, but my info may not be correct. Paul was a great competitor & all us Mini Drivers of the day could have only wished to be as quick as him & Brian Burrell, (who has apparently rebuilt one of his old cars!). The last I new of Pauls last mini it was ownerd by Jimmy Morris from the central coast. Apparenyly Jim is no longer with us & I just wonder where his 4 or 5 Mini's are today? I'd like to get my hands on Pauls old car & rebuild it

8. magee

magee Registered

When we remember speedway mini drivers, we cannot forget the brace of great minis that regularly competed in the Central Queensland region. Drivers like Chris Ede, Kev Hindrichs. Squirt Manning, Barry Gaunt and John Stewart, along with Anne Neville (who can forget her horrifying flip at Rocky) and Rob Rehbein from Bundaberg in his magnificent creation. These cars and drivers were equal to the best in the country.

9. hunter

hunter Platinum Member

Racing at the Newcastle track against McKew and Brian Burrell was great racing for me, coming from Sydney they always gave me a hard time because i had one of the few minis that could stay with them, hard racing on the track, friends off the track.

10. Bernie Roberts

Bernie Roberts Registered

Would Ron's surname be Grainger? If so I remember a PINK Supercharged Clubman GT

11. hunter

hunter Platinum Member

yea that right Bernie, pink and black, supercharged mini,was a lot of fun in thoes days, sad to hear that Paul has passed on.

12. Rustler

Rustler Registered

13. theminiman

theminiman Registered

Stirling Mitty (Jack Read),,, Peter Read,,, Ian "Gabby" Marshall,,, Barry Harrison,,, Eric Mitchell,,, Earl Manton,,, Bob henderson,,, & many many more :)