1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cars, here is your chance!

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by explayer, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. explayer

explayer Registered

For those of you who are really interested and want to see the car count of competing cars increase give us your sensible ideas. We need more cars on the track regularly not decorating your sheds.

2. clunker

clunker Registered

What about targeting other classes with drive days if every driver tried to get two drivers from other classes to do laps from what I've been told if you sit in a dirt mod you won't want to get out

3. red rocket

red rocket Registered

until the times as there is a feeder class that u can put a competitive car on the track for 15 grand they wont increase because people havent got the buks to run with the big boys...

4. kwik n kleen

kwik n kleen Registered

There are two things in life you shouldn't just Lend out.....
    That would be your Car or your Missus..... Unless you're not too fussed how you get 'em back that is....:devious:

5. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

You cant force a bloke to race if he does not want to, or cant. There are lots of reasons cars stay in sheds and probably the biggest one would be 'lack of $$$$$$$'. Shaming people into racing just doesn't work.

Maybe the DMA needs to look at a national 'Sportsman' type class where the cars are basically the same but running steel wheels, skinnier tyres, no roller gear in the engine and a 2 barrel carb. Dead easy to upgrade when you want to, but a lot cheaper to get racing and maintain.

And like I said in another thread, if this is where you want to race because its all you can afford or where you feel you are competitive, then you can stay there boosting numbers, giving new guys someone at the top of their class to beat and enjoying racing on a comfortable level.

And Vin.... was always happy to loan the missus out in my day (but no one would have taken her), but never the car.

6. Super G

Super G Registered

Hey Jim.
    Another podium finish last night for the $5000 19 year old Tracktek.
    I think the whole point of this thread is that it's not important how much is spent in ones budget but how the budget is spent.
    Whether the fact is that the ANCIENT cars can't compete or not I think that it is important for the whole division that we keep persisting with what we have until all competitiors compete on an equal basis. Hang on a minute, has that ever happened before or will it happen in the future in this or any other division???? I think NOT!
    Mate whatever is best, I'm still enjoying the ride doing my part!

7. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

Thats awesome Greg... congratulations.
    Like I have said, YOUR car is where the 'entry level' class should be pointed. A bloke that can get into the class in a $5000, 19 year old car and know he has a chance of a placing against cars 5 to 6 times the cost.... well theres incentive to go racing. Give him his own set of defining specs and own seasons points Championship and you have a great way to not only entice drivers into the class, but get all those other 19 year old cars out of Shed and garages as well.

Mate keep it up, you are showing what can be done on a very limited budget. Just need recognition from the DMA now to somehow get all those other $5000/19 year old cars out there and racing.

8. Leaso

Leaso Holidaying

How about just the older cars get off their butts and ome out of the shed's and help themselves to rebuild the class.

Biggest problem with Speedway in Oz! Everyone sits on their tails waiting for others to do the hard work and spend all the coin.

9. Dingo

Dingo Registered

How about the old cars that can't afford to run with the big boys run AMCA's...........

10. RICHIE 34

RICHIE 34 Registered

Yep AMCA's would be perfect-thay look sort of the same with smaller wheels , smaller engines and smaller budgets and very easy to explain to the paying public that these are the feeder cars to the dirt mods and could quite possibly boost numbers in both classes.
    Don't get me wrong here , AMCA's are a great stand alone class so please don't take offense to me calling you guys a feeder class.

11. cam

cam Registered

I think you could already call AMCA a good feeder for dirt mods look where two of the best new competitors have come from in Britton and now Sauer

12. wjk98

wjk98 Registered

Here's a theory from left field for you.
    Perhaps the reason that Dirt modifieds have never taken off on a national basis is that they are neither a truely open wheel or sedan division.
    Modifieds are an amalgam of theses two styles of cars and as everyone knows most racers generally have a leaning one way or the other.
    I would think that most drivers coming from a sedan background would eventually gravitate towards a super sedan and the open wheel guys end up moving into speedcars or sprintcars.
    As stated previous Modifieds mainly only run in the north east corner of the USA and across into eastern Canada and they have had decades to become popular nationwide but still have trouble cracking new markets.
    ( see indiana open wheel website about guy trying to get them started in Indiana, thats 2 states across from their heartland)
    Some will say Modifieds are the best of both worlds but coming from the 2 different sides they are looked at as a compromise thus drivers shy away, instead moving onto Sprintcars or Super Sedans. So the argument that modifieds should appeal to a wide range of competitors actually works against the division as they are out on a limb by themselves.
    To compare it to politics a few people vote for the fringe parties but at the end of the day the majority like the security of the mainstream Labour or Liberal parties when they cast their vote.
    Thus the same could be said about Modifieds a few guys will spend their money on a modified but the majority prefer to spend their cash on the security of the more established divisions.
    How can you fix it? Buggered if I know. You can't change history and Sprintcars, Speedcars and Super sedans have had a big headstart over Modifieds.
    Although the idea of Modifieds and AMCAs forming some sort of alliance to provide a feeder section could be looked at in detail by the DMA. That's probably your best market place for new drivers.
    Might I add I have no involvement with Modifieds but do have a soft spot for them.
    Thanks
    warren

13. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

Some good points Warren but interestingly enough, AMCA's are seen as the feeder class to Late Models in WA.

As for the concept of the Modifieds, as some of the old farts that raced them through the 70's, 80's, 90's (like me) and maybe 1 or 2 still doing it today will tell you, the Modifieds evolved out of the 60's Hot Rods after Super Modifieds became Sprintcars and the Saloons became Sedans. Remember the old Coupes running around with no guards, open engine and the big bedstead front crash bars (if you're too young, look at some old 60's photos)? Well by progression, that is what todays Modified evolved from.

I would say they haven't taken off like some of the other classes because the job hasn't been done well enough Nationally on selling them. And I'm not blaming the current National administration alone for this as it dates back to the days when I was involved.

We have allowed these other classes to come about because we as a division, since the mid 90's have never offered ourselves as a genuine alternative.

Theres no point in pointing the finger at anyone BUT, its time to do something about it before Modifieds do fade out in all bar a few pockets of the Country.

14. Cartman

Cartman Registered

I have been reading these posts with interest. Most people are really positive about getting the class up and running with bigger numbers and there are some really great ideas out there.

I was looking at purchasing a modified and I’m based in Sydney. The couple of cars I looked at were a few years old but would make a great start in the division. Due to a couple of reasons we weren’t able to go ahead with a purchase but that is looking better for the new year.

A second tier division would defiantly get people looking at the class. I’m thinking something like a “Clubman” class. Mostly for the guys that run once a month around their local area. Not sure how you would class the cars but there have been many great ideas on here.

Anyway I’m about to call the NSW club and put my hand up to help out where I can

PS. Vote 1 for Jim Kirkwood

15. Greg McKay

Greg McKay Registered

Here's my base starting plan for a "V8 DIRT MODIFIED STOCK CLASS"

1. 361ci engine with mandatory Hydraulic lifters and Flat Tappets only, Wet Sump and NO Roller Camshaft.
    2. Chassis to be as per current specifications rule book.
    3. Car must have a fully operational Jacobs Ladder rear configuration only.
    4. All body panels to be as per current rule book.

This gives all cars an equal cosmetic value which is what the paying spectators are looking for when both classes are combined but is restricting the RPM range available to these engines as you don't want to rev one of these babies to 8500rpm.

Food for thought. Please post your comments

16. dirtslinger 68

dirtslinger 68 Registered

most sensible comment Ive read to improve the class moving forward, what about the spec of cylinder head? So many spec heads off the production line, or do you run a restricter plate on both carby and exhaust to control what goes in & out the motor?

17. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

Thanks Cartman... appreciate your feedback and your comments stress the need for this 'Clubman or Sportsman' class.

The worrying thing is, I believe there has been a submission put forward to the DMA these past THREE YEARS for a 'feeder' class and there has been little action taken on it. THREE YEARS ago NOS Sprintcars were demonstrating 2 cars in WA and are now a national Class. THREE YEARS ago South Australia still had a struggling Modified division - its now non existant. THREE YEARS the feet have been getting dragged on this.

Its imperitive that this class is NOT perceived as a Division 2 or B Grade Modified, but as its own 'stand alone' division. There should not be any stigma associated with running one of these cars.

As I have suggested before, I believe the main constraints should be on the engine to make them cheaper to build, maintain and run and also on the wheels/tyres. My thoughts are.....

ENGINE - Same as standard specs except NO roller gear other than roller rockers, wet sump only, 500CFM 2 barrel carb, flat top pistons.

WHEELS/TYRES - Steel rims with a maximum of 15" width. Right rear tyres to be same compound as Spec tyre except 15" or 16" wide so as not to over tyre the car and promote bad handling.

Everything else should be as per the Dirt Modified rulebook to enable upgrading a more cost effective excercise.

18. V8DirtMod108

V8DirtMod108 Platinum Member

Just my thoughts, I dont no about no roller gears in your motor. Its not that much dearer to go roller. If you change rim sizes it cuts out buying good second hand tires from the bigger teams. I think the bigger tires are more forgiving in rough conditions. A lot of the cars now are running wet sump with the news sumps around at the moment and as fare as only Jacobs ladder would cut out most of the usa style cars.
    I think motors are a issue in the class. Maybe years ago cast steel heads were cheaper but now alloy heads are the go in my opinion. To Make HP you need to turn your motor pretty hard with the restrictions that are in place which in turns adds expense when building a motor .If you go splitting the class with big differences in the rules it will cost to much to step up when you wont to and i don't think we have the numbers to split it up.
    All in All they are awesome to drive the way they are and set lap time that are only matched buy a couple of classes. Whats the answer i dont no, but the QLD car count is up. Is it due to the commitment of people to get series's of the ground like the Roosters cup and The CP pistons cup.

19. Mopar29

Mopar29 Registered

If I can convice the wife to move to Vic I'll have one in the garage! Don't run them in Tassie. They are an awesome division to watch and would be good to see them get bigger.

20. boatboy

boatboy Registered

How many of you guys that want a 2nd division have cars that will come out and play straight away if there was a div 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.