1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cars, here is your chance!

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by explayer, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. explayer

explayer Registered

I think some homework is needed here not guesswork.

2. explayer

explayer Registered

A majority of cars mentioned are from the Summerland area but for only 2 shows a year definitely not worth it.
    Don't know your involvement in Modifieds but would welcome a chat about it with you.
    Most cars to wich i have refered already have flat tappett engines.

3. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

explayer, have been racing mods in qld since 92 and at the moment l am crew for a local guy, as for a chat see you at lismore 23/01/10 look for black & white qld car.

4. coletrickle

coletrickle Registered

I say you will n36 owner.

5. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

explayer, can you give me a break down of costs to change a motor to a flat tappet combo?

6. oatesy

oatesy Registered

grafton had promoter issues in my opinion.

anyway as if your gunna listen to a young feller, mods are mods. you want a stepping stone step to amca then a mod. what ever happened to the natural progression thru the spectical that is speedway.

i remember growing up at lismore nd trying to guess where the guys would go, super or rod? it was a simple if you wanted sedan you went mod prod > supersedan if open wheel was your thing it was rod then onto one of the sprint diciplins. now you step to amca then a mod.

so tell me again why we need the "little motor" mod?

cost, cost, cost. there are plenty of people out there that have enough money to race a mod but don't. why?
    why do they choose circit racing or hill climb or even some other class of car racing and don't get themselves a mod?

because all you lot do is seem to bitch fight nd winge. take a look at a "cams" rule book, you pick a class nd you run to the rules. if you don't like those rules or cant afford it you go to something you can. not change them to suit your needs.:mad:

i applude the people keeping aus v8 dirt mods afloat. i would have given up by now. the "little motor" cost cut mod has been done. and it died. think of something else. i want nothing more to race one of these beasts but i'm not going to change the beast just so i can try nd tame it!

7. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Oatesy,finaly someone with brains. lt's a shame you cannot get your but in a mod because if your as good as your dad you would be great for the sport.

8. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

It never died, it was killed - big difference. And whats more, it was never a National spec. It was just something done in Northern NSW/Qld. No one and I mean NO ONE knows what it would or could do if instituted in any other States.

Anyway, I eagerly await the feedback from the Greg McKay submission to the DMA.

9. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

It would be like watching a AMCA race.

10. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

Jim, All the other states didn't want it - including WA. That is why it was rejected NOT KILLED. By the way were at the meeting in Canberra with Murray Atkin, Keith Smith, Peter Cox, Steven Robinson and Graham Edmunds? I believe that was the beginning of the National modified division.

11. Speedy14

Speedy14 Registered

Jim surely there is a usa dirt modified forum waiting for your negativity because we aussies dont want to hear it!

Move with the times jimmy boy!!!!!

12. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

AMEN to that.Jim l think people have got you worked out.

13. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

It is only a trial so there are no garrantees. If you go to your next meeting you will find out the full details Instead of it being picked to peices on the site like this where some people have distorted views.

14. explayer

explayer Registered

If you were serious I could. The idea is to use what you have to get more cars back on the track, not reinvent the wheel. If you had a roller motor why would you not want to use it?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Please explain!

15. explayer

explayer Registered

I would like to thank you for that learner, when time and money permit we go racing. Have attended 5 race meetings this season which is more than some but have missed a couple because of major damage and thanx for caring.

16. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Explayer, l am not the one tying to reinvent the wheel, l am not clueless when it comes to motor costs. Explain to me how a flat tappet cam and followers in a current spec motor is going to save heaps of money and get cars on the track. A crete motor could be a different story, But a modifide is a modified if your not willing to improve your car to keep up with evolution your in the wrong class.Why can Eggy do it and you guys carn't.

17. Super G

Super G Registered

Again I think we're getting off the point here fellas.
    The FACT is, there are cars sitting in sheds at the moment with Flat Tappet engines that are not being utilised for one reason or another. The aim is to get these cars out there and race amongst the ELITE CLASS and bolster numbers. It's as simple as that.
    This is not about reinventing the wheel, it's about fixing the wheel that is broken.
    It's not rocket science, it's about displaying more cars on racetracks to increase interest from both Promoters and Spectators.
    Maybe I'm on the wrong track by NOT thinking that by restricting the division to ELITE CLASS cars only it will increase interest from both Sponsors and spectators. It hasn't worked before so why would it work now. Even NASCAR and V8 Supercar have development classes of a lesser car spec. Are they not successful??????????????????????

18. kwik n kleen

kwik n kleen Registered

Super G, as you know for FACT that there are cars sitting in sheds and coincidentally all seem to have 'flat tappet engines', can you please tell us where they are???
    The question has been asked several times in earlier posts on this thread and no one has acknowledged them. I can't think of any cars sitting in sheds in WA for reason of wanting a lower spec'd engine introduced to the CLASS... Also, we haven't heard from anyone with these "supposed" cars, unless you want to count the fellow that posted that he'd be back in a flash!, only to PM within an hour that he had sold his gear and wasn't interested! Not productive at all.....

I personally do NOT agree with or support a lower spec engine within the CLASS as I believe it is thwart with danger..... For various reasons, but the point of this thread is getting more cars on the track.... And that, I am willing to support 100%

I am also very much in favor of a Div2 scenario of almost any kind that will recognize, support, encourage and nurture NOT ONLY a 'low budget' competitor but also a formula that recognizes and supports the "newer and sometimes inexperienced" competitor......

As for pleasing the promoter and spectator's with cars on the track, how about the feature or the DIV2 feature being a "handicap race"???? Easy with one way communicator to get set and transponders could help in calculations....

If a restricted motor were to be SUCCESSFULLY implemented it would need to be reasonably close in hp to the open spec motor IMO and I don't believe it is doable.

The exaggerations with cost's and even some opinions that some people are posting are in no way helpful to anyone wanting to get into this great class and are somewhat misleading.....

I am also very suspicious that there is a distinct MINORITY in favor of a lower spec engine that are actually racers or seriously interested in the CLASS without being absolute dreamers......

This is my opinion only and you are entitled to yours, as is Jimbo entitled to his also, unfortunately me thinks.....

As for more cars on the track, look out for my new thread asking for "expressions of interest" to LEASE a V8 Dirtmodified for next season....

19. kwik n kleen

kwik n kleen Registered

Hey Chucky,
    Your point is most valid and may have something to do with why the concept (as presented) is continually rejected????

I also find it hilarious that there are people here that think I'm running a 30k engine of Cory Reads.....
    There would be some RED faces if they new what it really cost..... People tend to assume what they will, but if they only new????:)

That's another reason I don't support a lower spec engine and there are plenty of 'low budget' guys winning races, that like me, haven't spent the type of money being talked about on this forum..... More exaggerations being used to "push ones barrow"......

20. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

The National Modified Division was a breakaway group back in the early 90's and of the lot you have mentioned here, only Robinson and Edmans (if the latter is the former driver from Newcastle) were involved. All the rest stayed with the original National body. That meeting in Canberra may have been the meeting to change the name to DMA, but the National body has a history dating back to the mid 80's.

The history lesson is a bit off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.