1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cars, here is your chance!

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by explayer, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

Honestly.... what is all the fuss here???

What is wrong with the structure of Dirt Mods in Australia at the moment????

The way it incorperates the Div 2 now seems to work......

In the past few years i have seen not a huge peak, but a peak of sorts in new drivers who are making do with what they have now. And they still seem to be coming in.

All this talk about different engine specs and this and that, crate engines blah blah..... this is what is tearing the sport apart. It sounds like just because someone or a minority is unhappy with the structure, they think they can come out and try restructure something that aint broke. Maybe for the simple fact that they themselves can be competitive in the "stand alone" division???

As the idea of a crate engine for a feeder steeping stone class, sounds like it would cost more money to upgrade to an open spec engine if the urge to do so became apparent.
    Whats wrong with a resrictor plate??? ie: Nationwide Nascar??? Less dollars to convert for the upgrade.

Whats the difference between being competitive in the incorperated div 2 and the stand alone class anyway?? Sweet FA!!! Why cant there be div 2 trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd handed out on the night as well as the overall??? There is still recognition, and div 2 drivers could be eligible for 2 trophies in one race..... ie: night overall 1st- open, 2- open, 3- div 2. 3rd place overall would be the 1st div 2 car on the night.

Twice I have seen 2 different older style cars, assuming they class themselves under the "budget" or "div 2" banner, be able to hold out "div 1" cars for wins. One at Grafton and one at Maryborough. Both done a deserving job with what they had.

Jim, you have many thoughts, but reading through your posts I have read so many contradictions and the same thing post after post..... it is all quite confusing, pointless and taking the fresh look of modifieds down.

What happened to the enjoyment and fun out of all this, when it seems the want for a stand alone division for the budget racers, who some have classed them selves as being here for the pure fun and enjoyment of it all, are making it sound more like they want the competition factor more than fun????? Here is a classic example of contradiction.
    If it's fun you want, then race your bloody car. If it's a can of worms you want opened instead, well........ looks like it has happened!!!

America has 3 or 4 stand alone divisions for modifieds.... yes. But let's just sit back and count the many millions of racers more that they have over us aussies.

In the long run, the future of Mods in Australia, will only work as it is now in my view....

2. 4E&KCMS

4E&KCMS Registered

It seems like this thread has gone off track a bit. I thought we were trying to get more cars out of the sheds and back on the track, not create a new division and more fracture in the already fragile world of aust speedway.

If the div1/2 is currently in place let it be the catalyst, and if people don't want to race the division put there cars up for sale at a reasonable price. The state clubs need to drive this and promote it (not saying that they aren't already in most states), and not the DMA. A new division will only hurt this sport and not solve any problems, just create another have/have not for that new class (yes I have seen this happen before). As I have stated before there isn't a silver bullet here, so lets stop trying to look for one.

Jim you have me intrigued a bit. When were dirt mods in the NT?

3. Super G

Super G Registered

To all the PM's and email well wishers that I got re my feeder class submission to DMA I thank you very much and had hoped to respond to you by now with a response but unfortunately I have received no correspondence either official nor unofficial in regards to my written proposal.
    I can only speculate that it has either been binned or deferred to the DMA AGM in mid year 2010 or perhaps I will be advised at my next Club General Meeting by my State Delegate as to the outcome.

4. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

Brad, after the National Body formed a 255 Class back in the mid 90's, Alice Springs formed a division and had up to about 8 cars running. They came down to SA for one of our Conferences and embraced that particular class as a way to get Modifieds started in the NT.

WA's Col Shepherd then went to the Alice to race against cars of his ilk in '96 I think it was and came back with NT1 on his car. I'm not sure, but I also think WA driver Ross Tetlow went the following year.

We lost them when the class went to V8 only. WA lost Ross and Col struggled on with a V8 car he bought off Alan Barker for a couple of seasons and was actually less competitive than he was in the 6 cyl, but he just couldn't afford it and dropped out. He still has his 6 cyl car sitting in his shed so I believe.

I think Bryns initial car came from the NT and might have had a 253 Holden fitted or something, but the NT never got a V8 division off the ground. I think given time they would have.

---------- Post added at 1:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:08 PM ----------

No, its not mate.

5. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

Well Mr Kirkwood and Mr Mudchucker. You seem to have a lot to say about the DMA and the way it is being run. I hope you guys are members of affiliated clubs of the DMA.

If you are members then you can stand up and be elected to these voluntary positions on the DMA board and run it how YOU think it should be run. If you are not members how about you join a club and find out the real facts about what is actually!! happening within the clubs and the DMA.

This way you will then find out the true facts and the way the DMA is surging forward for the future betterment of ALL!! Dirt Modified Competitors. In the mean time I suggest you keep your destructive and ill-informed comments to your selves. as most of the discussion and comments about Division 2 have been in place for years. The DMA have a set criteria for division 2. and if you would like more information contact your nearest club or DMA committee member who will happily speak with you regarding this matter.

The speedway environment has evolved within the last 15 years so what may have worked that long ago certainly doesnt work now. Promoters are stuggling with many other forms of entertainment so we have to work closley with promoters to produce a quality product for them to sell to the public.

If what the DMA board members are doing is so wrong GET INVOLVED and have a say at a club where you can't hide behind a Forum name. Stand and be counted because nine times out of ten when people are asked to stand up and make a stand they disappear. I have noticed that the two DMA board members are not hiding behind aliases and have been standing up and being counted.

We all know who they are by their names and I believe that they are doing a fantasic job along with the other DMA board members. By the way I am a current club member having a say.

6. watch the fast

watch the fast Registered

wow ,i was looking at maybe getting into a modified,but you guys really have some problems.is the number of interstate cars or lack there of at the archerfield title a reflection of the posts in this thread ?3 victorians 2 west australians and 2/3 's of a normal queensland club night isnt really what i would say a national class on the up.i thing a b grade super will do me just fine .and i hope nobody takes this as being over critical ,just my views from the outside looking in

7. Jim Kirkwood

Jim Kirkwood Registered

I'm a Life Member of the DMAWA, was its inaugrial President and held Executive office for about 18 years - my signature is on its Constitution.

I raced through the development years of the class from Hot Rods in the late 70's to Sportsmans in the 80's, Modified Rods in the 90's and finally V8 Dirt Modifieds.

I was there at the start of the National Body in the mid 80's and held office for 9 years.

I am currently living in the USA and watching the DIRT Modifieds go forward in numbers (the most Sportsmans, 358's and Big Blocks EVER to run Syracuse was this year - in a time of deep recession for the US) and the Australian V8 Dirt Modifieds go backwards in numbers.

I think I'm qualified to have an opinion on a division I spent 20 years of my life developing.

8. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

Mate, the big picture is, we are here in Australia.... there is a massive difference in population and economy from USA to Australia.

Sure they go forward over there... that is great.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant force it to drink!!!

If people over here dont want to get involved, they wont. You cant force the issue down there throats... other wise people will get sick and tired of the crap that circulates. Just like the stuff in this thread. It is scaring potential drivers away this stuff, all this confusion & discussion that should not and i hope doesn't happen.

If your status within the Dirt Modifeds was back years ago, go back there.... this is now. We need to be looking forward, not at something you did or tried implementing 10-20 years ago.

Modifieds are fine the way they are..... the way it is now is working perfectly fine and gaining momentum all the time.

Although there could be very minor adjustments made to the division 2 concept, but with out changing the current engine spec, as per my previous post and that the div 2 could implement a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophy system with a seperate presentation for the recognition.

If you think you are the right man to run the DMA, move back here and make a stance at the next election. Prove everyone wrong with your ways you think the division will steam ahead.

oh and for the record....

I live in Australia, have followed speedway all my life, involved within the division, V8 Dirt Modifieds are my chosen division in speedway and i vote 1, to leave them the way they are.

9. vic92

vic92 Registered

dirts in good shape no cars in sa 8 cars in vic which hasnt increased in 5 years thats good shape mmm:)

10. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

Well that has got nothing to do directly with the DMA!!! It is upto you as a driver, and your club, to promote yourselves and the division.

The professionalism of teams in NSW and QLD is second to none. Hence the car counts, followers and popularity of the division.

It comes down to the image of the division within your state. Get off your backsides, do some work for yourselves and your club, and not rely on the DMA, as the DMA is only there as a national administration panel for the division.

Next thing will be DMA will have to be scraping mud off all the cars down there.......

11. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

well Jim where I come from they are going ahead in leaps and bounds. What are we doing that is so right? We are using the formula that the DMA have had in place for years and it seems to be working for us. I have grown up around this division and I am now part of the Queensland committee and I can tell you that this year has been one of the best ever with car numbers and member participation at all levels. This could have something to do with our older members having a succession plan in place allowing the younger generation to take control with their new and fresh ideas. The WA club has just started to work on the same plan with younger people standing up to be counted. This is the future of our divsion not the past. This year our club had the pleasure of hosting the Australian title and by all reports has been dubbed one the mosted organised and proffessionally run titles to date. It was organsied and run by our youger generation with the guidence of our older members. We also had the privlage of hosting Pete Bicknell here in Queensland he himself congratulated our club on how well organised we run our race meetings. All that I have left to say is that what may work in america certainly doesnt necessarily work in australia mainly because we dont have the population the americans have . Im interested to know did you hold office on the ASMA Committee Before or after Micheal Farnden and Malcolm McDonald both from South Australia

12. vic92

vic92 Registered

as i said b4 just want to no y number are declining and y some states are thriving mabe if all the states get together they might find out y last time i looked it was a national class not a state class

13. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

You say that the car numbers are bad in VIC and SA. I your really concerned maybe you should nominate for some events to boost car numbers.

I didnt see your nomination for the Swan Hill Race meeting

14. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

It is a national class.... But each state recognized under the national banner, has still gotta pull there weight and get the ball rolling within the state.

The DMA put the guidelines in place - states and clubs need to follow on from the guidelines to help themselves within there own states.
    Obviously something the SA's have dismissed and the VIC's are only just holding onto.

It's time to get stronger within your clubs. The DMA are there for the division, not to scratch everyones back.

15. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Jim, l get the impression you like to hear the sound of your own voice, If the class is in such a bad shape and you are pointing the finger at the DMA in a way you are to blame as much as anyone, considering your years of great service to the sport! I think we are doing quite well here in AUST without you and would be alot better if you woud p*ss off and keep your negitivity to yourself.

16. Dazz 52

Dazz 52 Registered

Hey vic 92 for an ex driver who doesnt even hold the registration on his number any more ( shows how interested you are ) i will try and put it in plain english even you can understand.

In Qld we have the likes of Super Ray devoting his time to organise sponsors and tracks to run what is fast becoming one of the best raceing series in Australia ROOSTERS CUP. At club level we have people negotiating with promoters who want us to run because we run a professional meeting dont muck around and waste time like other divisions, so we have mant tracks wanting us to run many times. Once this is achieved drivers want to race because it is fun the prize money is good and gets paid down the line hence more cars on the track.
    NOTE THE DMA DID NOTHING FOR THIS THIS IS DONE AT CLUB LEVEL BY MANY PEOPLE.
    NSW with Nev P is starting to follow along these lines useing his traditional supporters Lismore and Grafton but looking to go a bit more country in the future like the Gunnedah trek last year.

WA starting to get tracks interested even with small car counts but as the club gets the support of more tracks and promoters the car count goes up because more people see the raceing and get interested, then more cars more prize and tow money everyone happy.

Vic the faithful few mainly the Milthorpes and if any one that helps them are hanging on and we all hope that this formula will work for them ( MAYBE YOU VIC 92 COULD GO AND GIVE THEM A HAND SEEING AS IT IS YOUR STATE )

SA alas South Australia poor Corey Read was the last one to try and hang on but with obviously no support it all fell over. But wait there is a light, considering that you and Jim say there are so many cars in the sheds in this state all you need is half a dozen people to get off there ass and talk to some promoters get a couple of display runs like the one that was organised for Murray Bridge but everyone bailed on, run for nothing for a while in any car that looks like a dirt Mod create interest and maybe things might happen.

Now if you can show me what part of this story the DMA are supposed to do for you i be ******

17. slidejob

slidejob Registered

hey d--k head get your facts right tool

18. renae_89

renae_89 Registered

Slidejob - What facts did he get wrong? Obviously you know more than he does so you must be a very active club member or DMA official! There is not one fact there that Dazz52 stated that was wrong.

19. vic92

vic92 Registered

hey dazz b4 u start having a go get yur facts straight 1- im not an ex driver and 2- i said mabe the states should get together not the dma so b4 u write get yur facts right

20. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Hey vic92 for the inexperience fence sitter what are the facts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.