1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penguin Speedway Tasmania

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by OZ LATE MODEL, May 27, 2008.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. OZ LATE MODEL

OZ LATE MODEL Visit www.ozlatemodel.com

Where was it located in regard to the town of Penguin? Anyone help?

2. Fazz33

Fazz33 Registered

it is on south road heading out of town towards motorcross track

3. OZ LATE MODEL

Thanks Brad,

I don't think you can see it on Google Earth yet....

Is the tar track still there?

Penguin was one of the few tar speedways in OZ, and if I recall (from articles I read) it had an elevation change.....

4. crashrac

crashrac Guest

Its up the top of Ironcliffe Rd a few years ago the council started removing all the barriers around the track, and it did have a big hill in it. They used to run motorcycle training courses in the old pit area but had to many break ins. My wife and I tried to find out about buying it but were told the track was part owned by the council and part owned by the government, so it was going to be a hassel to arrange. The central coast council did have it up for tender for development about six years ago but it fell through for some reason.
    Cheers Andrew

5. Fazz33

Fazz33 Registered

yes Rod i tried looking on google earth but could not find it very unique track main straight was higher went for a look about 8 years ago but if you pm flipper he could tell you more about it

6. ally

ally Staff Member

and what a waste of a good position and venue that could be used for something good in the community. I remember going there when I was "young" and watching..........those were the days.

7. ally

ally Staff Member

yes the tar is still there, although not sure what the surface is like these days. Unfortunately the track is just out of the good clear google area, you can see it if you look hard enough, but there is no updated picture, only the other half of Penguin has been updated as yet.

8. Gaff

Gaff Platinum Member

Here is a link to an aerial image, but its a little bit messy to get to it, so bear with me!

Firstly copy & paste this link.

http://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/listmap.jsp?cookieteststate=check&llx=421340.704&lly=5446001.2215&urx=421840.704&ury=5446313.7215&layers=1,17,18,29&idlayer=1&idfield=PLAN|LOT&idstring=236123|1

Then click on "Manage Layers", right hand side a bit below half way.

Click on tick next to "Administrative", slide down to "Background Imagery" & click it. Then click on "Rectified Aerial Imagery" to highlight it & click the > arrow to move it to the "Displayed Layers" box on the right.

Then hit "apply".

The image will come up with a red hatched area. To get rid of this, click the (i) button above the printer button on the left side & click anywhere outside the hatched area, then use the refresh button above the hand symbol on the left hand side. Picture should now be clear. You can use the hand symbol to move the picture around & you can also zoom in & out, although the more you zoom in, the worse the picture quality.

I dont know exactly how old this image is, but the state government undertook an aerial survey of most of the state about 5 years ago, so Im guessing thats about how old it is.

As crashrac said (G'day Raccy!!) the complex is owned by the Central Coast Council & the state government - the council owns the land the track is on & the government owns the pit area to the north of the track.

Hope this helps!

9. OZ LATE MODEL

The aerial image from 2000........

10. flipper

flipper Staff Member

Turn 4 was the place to sit and watch(top right of photo), down hill into a dip going passed the control tower and then sweeping back up the hill through turn 1.
    When they crashed they crashed.
    I posted on here once before about a USA tour that took out 3 of their 4 cars in hotlaps. 2 never raced again all night and 1 was repaired for the final.
    They had to use the tassie reserves to fill their spots on the grid.
    Great memory's....

11. calbra

calbra Registered

What was the length of the track-when did it close-clay or pavement

12. ally

ally Staff Member

lets get some real history going........... are there any aus speedway.com members who have raced there ?????????

13. flipper

flipper Staff Member

pavement. Not sure of the length sorry.

14. Fazz33

Fazz33 Registered

its a very short track from memory isnt it flipper?

15. ally

ally Staff Member

we've done a try to remember and we reckon it closed anywhere from about 30-35 years ago.............

16. flipper

flipper Staff Member

I'm 38 and I remember roaming around getting autographs in the pits, must have been about 10 yrs old so that makes it about 1979-80.

17. devil6

devil6 Platinum Member

I can vaguely remember going there and it was before it was ashpalt and had a dirt surface,

18. CDR

CDR Platinum Member

Wandered around the track about 6yrs ago a bought home a piece of the armco. Got have a piece of memorobillia.

19. ozfabrications

ozfabrications Registered

i went as a kid to the first ever meeting it was dirt,i can remember alan butcher being there and can`t really remember who won but it might have been him. track was around the 440 metre mark . when it was paved it was deadly fast. saw old man murcott stuff his sprintcar in the turn one wall one night was carrying that much speed off the hill broke the chassis off at the motor ,i don`t think he ever raced again after that.

20. wayne stephen

wayne stephen Registered

raced a fc holden on the dirt and tar turn 2 up hill felt like you were going to fall out the window then turn 3 you needed good brakes which i didnt have won my first ever feature race there must have been 28 to 30 years ago