1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Successful female competitors

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by magee, Jun 6, 2006.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. Mudstix

Mudstix Registered

Nice to see some WA gals mentioned above. There are records going back to December 1955 showing the first stock car race for Women being held at Claremont Speedway in Perth. Jenny Leach nee Coope, one of the first females to regularly compete on the WA scene at Forrestfield Speedway debued in the 1950s in a hot rod. A large number of ladies competed during the 1960's in WA. Some of these were sisters Robin Hunter and Julie Logan, Gwen Kirk, Merrilyn Silverlock, Barbara Elliott, Maureen Holmes and Ethel Ridley. An American, Angelina 'Bobbi' Borghese toured Australian in the mid 1960s driving a hot rod at Claremont.

2. Dale61

Dale61 Registered

Considering Melinda Dumesny (nee Moore) got a mention, what about her (and Max's) daughter, Mickayla (?). I've seen her name amongst those at PCR on occasion.

3. Hill-Billy

Hill-Billy Registered

Modified sedan madams Fiona Verhoven and Kelly Atkins from Vic, and Tania Smith from NSW was very quick in a Mod as well

4. stevejones

stevejones Registered

I can remember her riding at the Royale circa 1964. She was put off the gate in the handicap races but was much outclassed. In a later meeting, she was handicaped 40 yards in front of the gate, but still battled. The promoter: John Sherwood arranged a match race against a local lass to drum up some publicity (not that you needed much in that heady era) and the local lass won by memory.[DOUBLEPOST=1375863799][/DOUBLEPOST]In the 1990's Wendy Rowe was in the chair for husband: Geoff in their sidecar team. The Rowes raced a lot at the Gosford circuit as well at the Royale's final meeting. They were more than a capable team at that time, and were always very well presented in their bright green and yellow leathers from memory.

5. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Registered

Haven't seen her name here so I'm going to mention Joan Miller.

Joan started racing a Mini at Rowley Park during the 1960's. I remember her racing an XD Falcon Super Sedan in B-Grade at Speedway Park in the 1980's. Sponsored by the Miller family business, Blair Athol Auto Wreckers, her cars were pink (the colour of the business). She upgraded to a Pontiac Trans-Am in the late 80's. She regularly raced against her sons Stephen (who ran a pink & blue Trans-Am) and Bill who like his mum ran an all-pink Trans-Am, something he continues to do to this day. Joan only retired from driving a few years ago.

As an aside, although he has never won a round (I think), Bill Miller is the only driver to have driven in each and every round of the National Super Sedan Series since its inception in 2006.