1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Slam Parramatta, Round 4, 1 - 3 - 08

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by Benem 1, Feb 28, 2008.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. aussiemidgetfan

aussiemidgetfan Registered

the more controlled a category gets, the crappier the racing is. speedway racing has always been about diversity, and to eliminate it would be to dissociate the racing from its roots and falsify the spirit of competition

2. vic92

vic92 Registered

thats fine midget but what happens in 2 years when u dont have a class because costs have got out of hand :)

3. DASH

DASH Registered

I,m sorry omf but the more controlled rules would have saved this division years ago in syd.

Please tell me how the racing would be crappier?

It wouldve been a cheap division to race in but now to have a competitive mod you would have to spend as much as a sprintcar.

4. cdavis

cdavis Registered

but chris,why would anyone want to support an NSSS round after the derogatory comments made by the likes of Micheal Gee about non contracted drivers having the right to support such a series.The guy doesn't even own his car like most others and he was slamming them for being there.People in glass houses!!!

5. Revs2005

Revs2005 Official Staff Member

Hey Nascar is a tightly controlled category and the racing isnt crap, quite the opposite actually. so maybe controlling the categories maybe the thing to do. more on driver to race not on dollars

6. COTR76

COTR76 Registered

Having been involved with the Sydney Modified club in the early/mid nineties and experiencing regular PCR race meetings with mixed car counts It's any wonder they exist at all today. I think a huge amount of this failure can be placed on the Sunday racers that were "gunna race" or "gunna be ready" and the distinct lack of communication or co-operation between Newcastle and Sydney with only a handfull of drivers willing to put BS aside and go racing at away meetings. I think the level of professionalism and car detail shown by the teams racing the summer slam series is a credit to them and good luck, But unfortunaley Sydney mods will probably remained locked away in sheds getting the odd " Sunday Wash"

7. Jupey

Jupey Registered

Guys,

I think a few of you guys are a little misguided when you think running a good modified costs as much as a sprintcar. I can tell you for a fact you can get Oldfields previous Bicknell for less that 20k, and you my old modified complete with a good motor was sold for mo more than that. I see many AMCA's and production cars for more than that. As for parts, they are relatively cheap also and I can assure you on a "bang for your buck" scale modifieds are probably the best class in Australia to run.

Yes there are some guys with more money than some other running in the class (no assumptions by using names), but at the end of the day this provides a second had car and parts market. While I was racing I would have never survived if I could not have bought quality second hand parts off people like Stuart Herne and Luke Oldfield. Another point on price, I can list 10 to 20 cars that are as well presented, race as well as the so called big dollar racers and I can assure you have smaller budgets that many of the so called cheaper classes like AMCA's and production cars. Like any class it is possible to race well, all it takes it a lot of time and effort and putting the money that you do have into the right things.

The class, now aligning itself with the US model can do nothing but bring good things, I think you will see over the coming seasons an influx of US cars which in turn will standardise the cars and hence make parts cheaper and more accessable without the previous issue of no cars being the same. What this will do is make the class cheap for the budget racer and in turn give a more unified professional image to the class which promoters and sponsors like.

Lets cut the good old Australian "Tall Poppie Sydnrome" stop bitching about everything and everyone and see that there is not one person in the class that does not have the classes best interests at heart.

If you have something negative to say, about this class, a driver or any other class for that matter, perhaps either just dont say it, or if it is a genuine concern then speak through the propper channels and perhaps have the problem fixed rather that moaning about it on here, a place that a lot of fans and promotoers for that matter read......

Think about it.............

8. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

Only a minor part of anything is about money spenditure. Sure there are guy's out there spending some money on there cars, but the major part is doing your home work and making your car go forward thru set up with what you've got.

A budget racer could go just as good if they did some research, and really got into the physics side of race car setup. Money can buy go fast bits, but knowledge can go alot further.

Thats half the problem I think..... some of these budget guys seem to think that while these top blokes have the money to spend, they are always going to dominate, so why bother racing or trying...... if they did some research into making something from what they have, I am sure we would see a bit more competition throughout. I have seen it before where budget guys go well with what they have all because they have spent some time researching set up and configurations on there cars.

Take Mark Robinson for example..... everyone seems to think he is one that spends too much money. Maybe he does..... I myself nor has anyone but Mark or his father get to see cheque butts from writing cheques all the time as everyone states. So i cant see how people can justify there money spenditure. Just because he has a new yank car, and it goes well automatically signals to everyone that they have to much money to spend..... That is a load of crap.

I have witnessed on many occasions Mark at work setting up his car. I can tell you he just dont spend an hour on it. I have never seen a driver go to as much detail setting up a car as Mark does. He does everything to a bee's pubic hair.... lol. It was a big job researching the new car and finding a base setup as the new car is alot different to the old. And the time he puts in setting his car up has paid off.

So compared to other cars out there, Marks is no more different. It has 4 shocks, 4 wheels, a motor and everything else that complies to the rule book, as so does and should everyone elses.

So to me the big money issue is a load of crap. To me it is nothing more than laziness, and lack of support for the future of the division. I really hope that the modifieds survive at PCR. I have heard that there is a growing interest in the modifieds at PCR, and the Summer Slam Series from drivers and owners currently in other divisions down there. Hopefully this could be what the Sydney club needs and certainly sounds positive.

9. jacobs ladder

jacobs ladder Registered

racing was good, numbers were a little low in both classes [though midgets were to be expected after their title in wa], bot sure why mods were so low though. bit a chaos in the a but otherwise good.

10. grimace

grimace Registered

Jupey and Benem1 well said. The class has moved forward in the past 8 to 10 years, unfortunately not in Sydney it seems.

For those that are whinging, it doesn't matter what class you run in, there will always be drivers and teams that have money to spend. There will always be the top guys, middle guys and new guys. It is a matter of doing the best with what you have got, no matter what class you run in.

11. Leaso

Leaso Holidaying

Simon if you think that a dirt mod is as cheap as a amca than your on some real good drugs mate.

Top line amca with all the bling bits will set you back no more than 20 grand to build brand new. Some of the title winners are asking stupid prices for cars but are taking ages to sell them and normally end up dropping the price a fair bit because it is another year older by the time it sells.

What a brand new Mod cost to build??????

An amca will cost roughly $150 to race on a local show and thats fuel to the track, entry, and a couple of drinks for the driver only so long as you dont get damage what does yours cost to have a clean run???

Grimace summed it up best some will spend bucket loads and some wont. at least the guy not spending big in Amca can still run with the guy that does

12. Super Sedan Man

Super Sedan Man Registered

They should want to support the NSSS to compete against the best drivers and secure the exposure that goes with taking part in such an event (which increases siginficantly if they get good results). Any driver in the category should want the series to succeed and continue to grow as it in the best interests of all competitors for it to do so. Michael is entitled to his opinion and has every right to make his views public (which is better than the anonymous attacks that happen on this forum). However, Michael's opinion is not necessarily shared by the series organisers. We have always encouraged all drivers to take part and packaged the series accordingly. In fact, we are always surprised that drivers choose not to take part. The only time we have had to contemplate refusing any entries is when there has been the possibility that the number of entries could go beyond what we can accommodate within the race format. Ultimately though, this has never happened.

I would have thought that Michael's comments would only serve as motivation for drivers to want to take part and beat him, which would be the best possible response.

Whilst I don't agree with Michael's comments, I accept his right to speak his mind and I understand why he has that view. I don't really accept that the opinion of one driver as a genuine excuse for a driver hot to take part in the series though.

13. Jupey

Jupey Registered

Leaso, you can buy a brand new 2008 spec Troyer roller from the USA through me for 23k including GST, put a motor in and go. (I bought my first motor for 5k and kept adding to it). You can pick up very good second had car like Steve Wrights or Oldields for much less.

To run a clean night will cost you the same fuel to the track, the same entry fees, and probalby 80ltrs of methanol. If the track goes slick you might be up for a right rear, if you are a budger racer you can even often purchase seond hand tires for 50-100 (asl Booker) or a new one costs somewhere in the $300's. But once again this depends how much you want to buzz the tires on a slick track.

Anyway, I dont want to get into a discussion about the running costs of a modified compared to an AMCA, I was trying to make the point that it can be much cheaper than running a Sprintcar, and for the racing you get in this class it is very affordable as far as motorsport goes.

14. Leaso

Leaso Holidaying

Yeah i know Simon but just thought I would post our costs for comparisons.

I couldn't personally see one getting up around the sprint car cost in my life time useless some major changes are made to the rules.

thanks for sharing your costs by the way

15. V8DirtMod108

V8DirtMod108 Platinum Member

Are you talking about the Roosters cup. If you are it is not run against the Summer Slam, it just gives local drivers a series to race in and helps build the class , which i see nothing wrong with.

16. krusty

krusty Registered

Its a problem when the local cars dont support the series race when it comes to there local track. They complain about the 50 buck nom fee , they complain about this & that.Thats where it starts pissing off the contracted drivers & teams when non contracted drivers dont want to support a NATIONAL series cause of a $50 dollar nom fee.its a shame that some of the non contracted guys who dont support the series havent got the our NATIONAL divison at heart like the contracted drivers.

17. robferr

robferr Registered

So Krusty do you really think its about a 50$ nomination fee that stops local drivers from not racing, I do Know of at least half a dozen guys who have put there cars up for sale because they cant justify spending money building a car for two race meetings a year.
    I also know that after the first round at PCR earlier last year one guy lost and engine, and another badly damaged a brand new car Supporting the SSS series, Its OK for guys who own businesses who can take time off to support the series but most guys i know of, work nine to five 6 days a week and do this for a hobby, because you know there aint no money in it.

18. krusty

krusty Registered

I wasnt referring to the sydney cars at all.didnt even mention it.I was pointing out that some of the northern cars our blaming the $50 nom fee for that racing on easter.

We also race as a hobby aswell...

19. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

I couldn't agree more Krusty.

I am sure we had this discussion in a thread on here this time last year. It ceases to amaze me that when some drivers want the best for the division, they are the first to voice there opinions, but they are the first ones that wont physically help by supporting a national series alongside the contracted drivers who do have the divison at heart as krusty has stated.

Rebecca Kheine and Wayne Miles..... 2 Queenslanders, non contracted drivers. Where were they on saturday night???? Parramatta City Raceway!
    Bravo to the two for making an effort to support the series and helping to lift the profile of the division as a whole. 800 klm plus journey for them and the locals couldn't even make a no more than 100 km radius journey to support their local club and division.

20. Benem 1

Benem 1 Registered

And it also amazes me that when there are Modifieds penciled in at PCR, there is always a good contingent of travelling drivers who make the effort to support the racing down there...... how many times have sydney cars sent a good lot of cars up here???? Scott Cannon and Tony Sneddon are your regular visitors that make an effort. Its a shame that they are the only two that are representing your club all the time up here. It does work both ways. Lismore supports Sydney, Sydney supports Lismore. But 2 guy's out of ??? not quite sure how many cars there are down there but i am sure there is more than 2.