1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Title History: Where do we find it?

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by SpeedwayBear, Jan 15, 2011.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Bill_R

Bill_R Registered

I seem to recall the current spec being referred to as "East Coast Modifieds" when I first saw them appear in Newcastle. Prior to that "Modified Hot Rods" were one of my favourite categories at Newcastle. There are some pics of earlier days up at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Newcastle-International-Motordrome/246037532162?sk=photos
    I recall Sedan drivers such as Graham Lillford, Don McKewan and Paul Geale had their starts in "Modifieds" and/or also ran in the category.

2. mb1

mb1 Registered

2002/ 03 Tim Morse, Glenn Goonan, Mark Robinson @ Murray Bridge

3. LJV Promotions

LJV Promotions Registered

Hey Dean, just happened to be looking through some of the old scrap books at mum and Dads, might be able to fill in a couple of blanks on the Australian Hot Rod Title Winners - at least prior to V8 Dirt Modifieds from some newspaper Clippings

Estimated 87-88 going by age of driver listed in the program

87 - Trallee Speedway, Canberra - Jan 23 & 24th
    88 - Melbourne Speedbowl - 1st Dean Wright, 2nd Ewan McKenzie, 3rd Col Watt
    89 - Speedway Park, Adelaide - 1st Dean Wright, 2nd Daryl Wright, 3rd Darryl Guerin 4th Chris Howard
    90 - Narrogin Speedway, WA - 1st Dean Wright, 2nd Darryl Wright, 3rd Grant Baker 4th Ivor Ladwig
    91 - Premier Speedway, Warrnambool - 1st Jim Wright 2nd Dennis Osmond 3rd Gerard Boult
    92 - Avalon Raceway - 1st Steve Robinson, 2nd Tony Hopping, 3rd Brett Neylan
    93 - Mt Gambier - 1st Jim Wright, 2nd Grant Baker, 3rd Jeff Judd

Better late then never!

4. scottcannon

scottcannon Registered

Paul Cannon pic.png

Last weekend my family and myself had the honour of watching my Dad- Paul Cannon get inducted into the Hunter Region Sporting Hall Of Fame for Car Racing.

The above picture is from the 1978 Australian Speedway Hot Rod Championship which was held at the Newcastle Motordrome (Tomago), he also went onto to win the next years Australian Title at the same venue.

RaceDirector likes this.
  5. archie

archie Registered

Well done Paul. He has done alot for the division for manny years :)