1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 memories from the Sydney Showgrounds

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by Tornado 13, Dec 16, 2006.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Tornado 13

Tornado 13 Registered

I was at Pomona for the World Drag Racing Finals last month and decided to visit the NHRA Museum at the Fairgrounds. Aside from all the drag racing and Boneville displays they had a USAC display. There I found, sandwiched between '500 winners, a display on Bob Tattersall and Merle Bettenhausen. Pretty cool brought back a lot of memories. There was also material on all the Bettenhausen family plus a few other familiar names like Larry Rice and Parsons Jr. Have pictures if anyone is interested.

2. Tornado 13

Tornado 13 Registered

Brock's win sure was big. I was even more impressed the following week when he had to come from a lot further back and still to this day I remember him driving around Stewart, Tattersall and Butterworth in the pit corner during the closing laps of the World Speedcar Championship. He was the fastest car on the track.
    Bill, do you remember where he finished?

3. leadfoot

leadfoot Guest

If you guys can get to the Belleville National Midget Car Hall of Fame museum, ask one of the museum curators if you could see the leather bound book on the complete statistical history of the Sydney Showground speedway feature races.

4. Dwight Clock

Dwight Clock Registered

Thank you Tornado 13 and Leadfoot for that info. I am going to Belleville this year and hope to make it to Perris, CA. (a short hop from Sonoma) in November. Thanks again!

5. I only got to the showground once in early 1995 for midget,bike and sidecar practice. Lealand McSpadden and Fred Rahmer were the featured Americans there that year.

I can remember sitting in the Martin & Angus stand and wondering to myself what the place must have looked like in the 60s when it was filled to capacity. At least I got to have a quick look at the place before it was to late,even though I didnt get to see a race there. First time I had ever seen sidecars,you gotta be a little light in the attic insulation to be on one of those!

Post some of the photos,Chris. I put mine in the gallery,not to hard to upload them.

The book "GO the Bettenhausen story" is a pretty interesting book. Its about 600 pages thich,so it takes awhile to read.

6. StevenG

StevenG Guest

ASQ are you saying you have to be madman to race SIDECARS totally agree the bravest guys in the sport by a million miles

7. Yep,from what I can figure,those guys are completely nuts.

Besides that,they are going the wrong way on the track!

8. XR8

XR8 Platinum Member

9. XR8

XR8 Platinum Member

Didn't you read my next post ?????? who's the idiot,? idiot.... ha ha ha

Quote: (Originally Posted by XR8) [​IMG]
    Being in the pits after engine starts, choking on methanol fumes, tears streaming down face, trying to check the car for problems, deafening roars of engines being revved, and the echoes bouncing off the walls.............. beautiful..........pmsl.........
    I'll post some more when I dry my eyes......lol:rolleyes:

Seeing Allen King trying to drive around Bull pens ON the fence, ouch,
    seeing a very young Mark Brown in the parade lap, Have photos.
    Sitting on the TOP tier above the pits, and still getting showered in dirt, yes dirt,.....
    Getting photos of the groupies with George tatnell (georgous George ) and others......ha ha

Is that enough WooHoo........idiot........:D lol....:D

10. spiderweb

spiderweb Registered

Great stories from a great track. I have never been there was planning to go for the last round of the Solo Title but thats another story!
    I think only Rowley Park (different type of setting) would be the only place to compare the atmosphere.

You guys have it all wrong Sidecars are the only class to go the
    CORRECT WAY!

Besides that,they are going the wrong way on the track![/quote]

]

11. XR8

XR8 Platinum Member

Ha ha ha ha ha , you have a point there..........??????????
    They are ALL mad though.......:p

12. gambler

gambler Registered

Went over to congratulate Peter Cunneen after a feature win one night at a stage where Pete was very much in the veteran stage of his career.He leaned back against the drivers door of his DESOTO tow car quietly sipping on a cold one when a very attractive young lady many years Petes junior pushed through the group ,congratulated him with a peck on the cheek and quite openly asked him would he like to spend some time with her.He looked her up and down ,told her he was very flattered ,stood up from the car stating "I'll just check with Mary (his wife) if its ok).He moved to the side turning to his smiling wife sitting in the drivers seat.The young lady was last seen leaving at a pace I don't think Pete ever attained.Asside from great drivers they were great characters.

13. Tornado 13

Tornado 13 Registered

Could someone please explain how to insert a picture into a post? Thanks,Chris McGee.
    PS How do you upload pictures to a gallery?

14. Go to the Gallery page,then click on where ever you wanna put the pics,midgets,bikes etc. Then right above the photos on the right hand side will be "upload photos". Click on that,then follow the instructions there. After you get them uploaded you will have an internet address so you can post them. Try uploading some first though.

15. OOOPS

OOOPS Registered

LOL seeing a young guy hit the fence in his FJ one sat afternoon.

Drivers Ave after the races.

great solos.

Remember a Poms V Aussies test where the Poms didn't have their heart in it & Nigel Boocock rode the turns 1 & 2 wall taking the side out of his boot got back to the pits, got up the team & collapsed but was back out for his next heat with a taped up boot. Many other memorable nights too.

great sidecars.
    The sound of Vincents powering around the showground had to be seen & heard.

great midgets.
    Not enough time to put all the fantastic meetings here with so many names that are now history.

First night of the super mods.

Sedans.

I'll come back.

16. Tornado 13

Tornado 13 Registered

I remember that young guy with the FJ! :rolleyes:
    He must of been under the lap record before he hung it in the fence.

Added some pictures to the gallery (history channel) from the NHRA Museum. Chris.

17. StevenG

StevenG Guest

Keep up the great work everybody on this thread

18. Miss Informed

Miss Informed Donna Staff Member

19. Crashy

Crashy Banned

I only attended the Royale for the last meetings and I still have my George Ito shirt...

But the atmosphere then was good but back when guys like Stewart Tattersall the Cuneens and Freeman raced musta been great awesome etc I dont think you would be able to describe it.

anyhow
    M&M72