1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was there a Uralla Speedway

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by wetter tracks, Feb 23, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. wetter tracks

wetter tracks Platinum Member

Was there a Uralla speedway nsw & were was it ? I'm sure there was,i went to it one day, then i tried to show someone & i cant find it.im i going nuts?

2. revvinron

revvinron Registered

The legend GRENVILLE was from Urralla His father owned it Jonh Leslight allso started there On the south side of town

3. WILLO 66

WILLO 66 Platinum Member

was called blue ribbon speedway.....i think

4. dirttrackjunky

dirttrackjunky Registered

yea bud there was it was bulldozed and filled in several years ago when property was sold as buyer was concerne about oiled soil ,prior to that it was there in part form with the bottom corners made into a dam ,and adrians son had motorcross jumps around it ,hope this sheds some light

5. pro4

pro4 Registered

I have a photo somewhere of pre 64 sedans running a state title @ Uralla.
    I can only remember one of the names, Barry Tasker!
    I will see if i can find it??

6. dirttrackjunky

dirttrackjunky Registered

i also have many old photos of uralla track with my late uncle phill betts pictured ,on that note i am trying to find any pics or vids of him at any of the nsw tracks from early 80s to late 90s if any body can help, would be greatly appreciated cheers jim

7. tognotti71

tognotti71 Registered

I have some photos of my father running his jnr speedcar ther in the 70's

8. OZ LATE MODEL

OZ LATE MODEL Visit www.ozlatemodel.com

The track at Uralla was called 'Uralla AA Speedway', and as Revin stated it was owned by Sid Anderson (the father of Grenville and Adrian Anderson). It was an oiled dirt circuit and was probably less than 100 metres from the back door of the Anderson house.

I only ever got to one meeting there, the 1978/79 Australian Title for Pre 1964 Saloon Cars.

I've attached a couple of photos :

The field that day included the yellow FJ of Ivor Benneche (from South Australia : who won the title, and picked up $1000 for his efforts) and the blue FJ of Tony Burke from Toowoomba. Those cars were in a class of there own. Gary Dunn (from Uralla) in an FC Holden finished 3rd. Thats the way they are lined up on the rolling lap....
    Out of position 4 is Pam Granger (EJ Holden : lady racer from Coulburn), position 5 is Greg Hall (EJ Holden, from Lismore) and position 6 is Gary Brazel (FC Holden, from Grafton).

The Tasker brothers (from Coffs Harbour) are back in the field..

I remember that event well as Adrian Anderson allowed me onto the infield to take a few photos (imagine a 21 year old with no credentials doing that today...).

Uralla produced some great drivers : I remember Mel Yeomans who ran an immaculate XU1, and Phil Betts from Armidale in another top class XU1. Also in the pits was Brian Hillier (from Uralla, I think) in another XU1.

It was a time when Speedway Sedan Racing was king in northwest and northern NSW with racing at Uralla, Inverell, Moree, Grafton, Lismore etc....

How I miss those days....

9. 2V JAWA

2V JAWA Registered

Very good recollection Rod !! Those days were really good wern't they! I spent a lot of time travelling down to Northern NSW in those days - especially Grafton! Col schmidt in that amazing Zephyr - man that thing hammered! Also a little Golf - went round Grafton like it was on rails (can't think of his name)!! I wish I could remember more !!

10. pro4

pro4 Registered

This one is just for you Rod.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

11. pro4

pro4 Registered

Maybee we could ask for this thread to be moved to,
    The History Channel?

12. wetter tracks

wetter tracks Platinum Member

thank's to all of you for the info. I new i had been there.

13. Mach3

Mach3 Registered

They also ran bikes there, both Short Circuit & Speedway
    Which were conducted by the Armidale MCC
    My last meeting there was in late 1975 or earlish 1976

As you come into Uralla from the South on the New England hwy, the turn off into the track was on the RHS, just before the golf course.

A few months ago I was talking to a woman who's ex-husband was the "gun rider" there for many years. Between the 2 of them, they virtually ran the bike side of things at Uralla. They were the President, Secretary, Treasure, etc etc etc.

I've been threatening to catch up with her for a coffee next time I'm in Armidale.

14. sierra76

sierra76 Registered

Brings back great memories. I remember the Tony Burke FJ well .

15. Pheonix

Pheonix Registered

Hi here are some pics of uralla from my father gary brazel

Attached Files: