1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first SPEEDWAY experiance?

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by spiderweb, Mar 5, 2005.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
  1. spiderweb

spiderweb Registered

Reading the posts in this section has brought the memoires flooding back.
    After I stopped swinging (sidecars LOL) I tried to forget about speedway, but its just not possible.
    What was your first speedway experiance and how did it affect your life.

2. *FIGJAM*KRW

*FIGJAM*KRW Registered

Well mine was a great start lol it was standing to close to the fence and getting a face full of dirt when i was 6 years old one thing i love is the smell of the Solo`s and for some reason the i liked the smell of the program. Solo`s and Super Sedans where my fav from that first night at Claremont

3. Revs2005

Revs2005 Official Staff Member

Solos at the Ekka in the mid 60's watching the pom and aussie test matches. Then we moved to Bundaberg and got involved with Carina Speedway in about 1967.

4. Bizzy029

Bizzy029 Registered

My first taste of Speeedway was at Liverpool when i was only about 4 months old.. cant remember what was on or the date but im sure it was a good night.. its a pity they closed Liverpool as i would have loved to re-live those memories again....

5. Moose

Moose Platinum Member

Liverpool, with tar on the outside and dirt on the inside... bikes, and grand nationals from memory... I was about 5 or six years old... some 28 years ago (34 now)...

6. Jamesq63

Jamesq63 Registered

Oh sometime early 90's i think when my brother was racing.

7. Cocolee26

Cocolee26 Registered

Not sure how old I was when I first went but probably about 6 or 7. I can remember going to the Showground and seeing the bikes. Probably saw other stuff but don't remember.

8. jason11

jason11 Registered

My first race was at the maryborough speedway. I was 2 months old and i got in for free......:)

9. danny

danny Registered

ive been going since i was born

first memory would be my uncle racing street stocks along with playing with my cars in the dirt

favourite class has always been sprintcars and the first drivers i remember are cars like tom tomlinson in the pizza hut car, brett and nippa lacey, george tatnell, bill barrows, garry rush, bob tunks, david anderson

great days in the late 80s

10. Hill-Billy

Hill-Billy Registered

I hate to sound like an OLD bastard, but my first experience was at Rowley Park about 1964 or 5, when Migets had a little chrome roll bar that came about halfway up the back of the drivers head!! Great memories all the same. Cheers

11. Dingo

Dingo Registered

No idea when my first was, Hill Billy could prob tell us! The one thing I can remember was all the speedway kids!What seemed like a dozen or so! All our parents raced or crewed or something and we all hung around throwing stones and carrying on as you do! Are these kids still there? Or are we just to old to notice??

12. OZ LATE MODEL

OZ LATE MODEL Visit www.ozlatemodel.com

Grafton Speedway when I was 18 (30 years ago).

Those were great nights. I was working in a bank at Coffs Harbour and there would be 3 Grades of Sedans running at Grafton (ie: 60+ cars) with 20+ of those being from Coffs Harbour.

Still remember watching Grenville Anderson in the XU1, John Leslight in the purple XU1, Allan Butcher in the OBriens Camaro etc etc.

Some of the locals like Col Smidt in the Zephyr and Gary Brazel in an FC were stars in their own right! Then there were guys like Col Hall in an EJ...the list go on over the years..

Great memories...:)

13. Daniel87

Daniel87 Registered

October 1994 @ PCR, the first car i remember was Andrew Seckold, the Time Zone sponsored # 46 car. I think Rushie won on the night.

14. rjeffreson

rjeffreson Platinum Member

My first experience was at the Sydney Showground, November 1964, as a 13 year old. I walked in, under the Clock Tower Stand and saw Ray Kent, at full throttle, heading towards the "Bull Pens" corner. My immediate thought was that he was going to run straight into the fence.To my surprise, he threw the bike slightly sideways and just slid around the corner ahead of a pack of bucking solos. Next were the sidecars. Geez, does the excitement ever stop? No! Later on in the night, out came the speedcars. Whew, does it get any better than this, I thought.
    Been hooked on speedway racing ever since!

15. shenanigan

shenanigan Premium Member

I know that I went to Speedway before, but my first memory (that I can remember) is pretty recent. Some time in 1995ish.

I do remember Dad showing me photos of his TQ that he used to race back in the early 70s when I was pretty young. I had no idea what it was! But he told me lots of stories of all the tracks he raced at and how much fun he had (he raced before I was even a twinkle in his eye! lol)

Dingo, those kids are certainly still around! There is quite a few of them that I can think of at our local track!

16. Trippa

Trippa Bourkey's Pitb!tch

I don't know exactly my first speedway meeting, I've been going since I was swimming around in Mum's tummy! My earliest memory of PCR was having races with my brother rolling down the grass hill and having an ice fight at the end of the meeting after the esky was empty, another one that rings a bell was sitting in the grand stand and Steve and Mark Waugh walked passed us, also that night, walking through the pits a friend of the family (after a few drinks) asked the crash crew if they would sign his hat! LOL

My earliest memory of Sydney Showground was sadly the last meeting for the showground, I remember walking around the track afterwards and my dad collected dirt from each corner, we still have that jar of dirt sitting in our loungeroom! I know I've been to the Showground before that night but thats the only one that rings a bell!

My Nan and Dad have lots and LOTS of photos when my Dad and Unlce raced Litre Sprints (or as they called them, UFOS! LOL) with John Shore and tonnes of photos of bike meetings and etc at the showground, Liverpool and Westmead speedways.

17. Mrs Marvelous

Mrs Marvelous Registered

Not sure if I went to Speedway before my first memory....... but my first experience i remember was at Liverpool Raceway, early eighties, watching Dad (John Gates) and Bob Woods run the original Woods number 13, they used to share the car, black/grey/white Sol-Ace sponsored midget(I think that was ran at Liverpool).... Bruce hornsby and the Range music playing over the loud speaker and me being babysat by Ann Murphy (petes mother) on the hill, sleeping in the back of the ute under the cover till 3am or so.....freezing cold nights, big grass hill, holding tear offs against your face pretending they were sunnies (sad I know but I still see kids do it) , waling out and around the track after the meet with all other kids.....

18. LilChicky

LilChicky Registered

I was too young to remember my first time but my first memories was at borderline speedway when me and my bro used to walk under the flagies stand onto the track at the end of the meeting and jump on the back of the fire truck where my dad had been all night and get a ride into the pits. Geez it was fun

19. spectator

spectator Staff Member

I can remember running around the stands at the sydney showground and wishing the bikes would finish so the real racing would start, Im told 1st meeting i attended I was 2 weeks old!!
    Can also remember playing on the PCR hill whilst they built the track and all the clubs had a working bee to lay grass etc.

20. hunter

hunter Platinum Member

Mrs Marv.... you must have been there rolling down the grass hills with Dobbo and my two siblings.