1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first SPEEDWAY experiance?

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by spiderweb, Mar 5, 2005.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
  1. Crashy

Crashy Banned

For me I was about 4 and at Livo watching the figure 8 race and the smell of the place and the street saloon having the backend drag across the top of the wall that they used later on in TV ads

2. IAN 182

IAN 182 Registered

Well i'm guessin i was about 5,

The old man started doing the commentators Job and i went out with him, i fell in love with big V8's

im 23 now so i guess it had a pretty big impact on me,

3. wobbler

wobbler Platinum Member

For me was the Bris Ekka watching solo stars Phill Crump, Steve Regeling, Stan Bear and the likes. That was until I got bitten by the midget bug in 92/93.

4. Oscar

Oscar Peter Physick

Can't remember the exact month but it was the season of 1965/66 in the one and only time that Sherman Cleveland came to Australia. In those days at Rowley Park in Adelaide, spectators could stand as close to the fence as they dared to.

As a 12 year old I distinctly remember Cleveland manhandling his midget down the back straight which ran parallel to Torrens Road. He wore a bright red bandanner tightly drawn across his chin to the bridge of his nose. Above it was a big broad set of goggles which stretched around the back of his white open faced crash helmet. If I was any closer I would have been in the car with him.

In between dodging the shale flying from his rear wheels I couldn't believe a man could go so fast and still be able to turn left when he had to, just to avoid the crash fence so thoughtfully painted black & white by Kym Bonython. He instantly became my hero .....

That was until he got killed at Calistoga in California a few months later while qualifying a sprintcar in July 1966. I didn't know what a sprintcar was back then. We didn't have them. But I knew that if they could kill Sherman Cleveland they were things to be feared.

5. Mrs Marvelous

Mrs Marvelous Registered

Ha ha... probably.... who knows I may have even rolled down the hill with Adrian without knowing it back then !!!
    Funny how I used to hate being dragged to the races through the early early years to oran Park / Amaroo / Bathurst / Liverpool ect... but now i go every weekend willingly to the races ... well most weekends anyway!!

6. For me it all started in the early 70s. My parents were not race fans,so the only time I got to go was with my neighbors who went a few times a year. Oxford Plains Speedway is the name of the track, and its just 5 miles down the road from where I live. I didnt know it back then, but OPS would be planting a seed that would be still growing 30 years later. I still wonder what would have happened if I hadnt lived close to a speedway. Would I have found it down the road in my travels,or would I have found something else to occupy my mind?

OPS was a happening place when I was younger. Of course there wasnt much else for entertainment back then either. Bob Bahre owned the place when I was a kid,and he kept it till around 1987 then sold it. He had other plans,and finally built New Hampshire International Speedway,now with 2 dates on the NASCAR circuit. He had NASCAR races at OPS in the 60s,but it wasnt till later years that I learned that Bobby Allison won his first NASCAR race there in 1966,and Richard Petty would score a win there the next year. Naturally that is when NASCAR ran the smaller tracks,and didnt have a 36 (or whatever it is now) race schedule.

"Papa" Bahre always had the NASCAR "big names" coming to his big race of the year when I was growing up: the Oxford 250. We've had Darrell Waltrip, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison,Richard Petty,"Handsome" Harry Gant, Morgan Shepard, and a whole lot more come up to race in the 250 in its (in my view) heyday,when it was held on a non NASCAR weekend.

That was all before I got into the sprintcars though. I'd go to OPS weekly religously for years. After "Papa" Bahre sold the track, I didnt care for the new management,so I just started going elsewhere. NASCAR modifieds tripped my trigger for awhile, then it was the NASCAR Winston Cup. Always looking for a higher high. Then I found the sprintcars,and I dont think theres anything that can capture my attention like they do. Been all over the place to watch them. I cant wait for the season to start now!!

7. chevvy5684

chevvy5684 Registered

My first taste of speedway was of course at Rowley Park. I remember catching a bus up Hawker St and walking down Coglin St with my old man. The last season we lived just off Harrison Rd and went to nearly ever meeting that last year. Have fond memories of Boulger, Dean Taylor, McIntosh, Hereen, Agars, Wigzell, Barrows, Vears, Alyesbury, Crowhurst, Orlando, McCarthy, Joan Miller in a Mini, absolutely heaps of riders & ivers. I still have heaps of gear from Rowley Park days. I used to cut stuff from the papers, still got old books and magazines. I used to have a heap of old programs but still can't remember what ever happened to them. Must be getting old.

Still remember when Speedway Park opened too and how it was all new. I have a bit of stuff from those early days too. Only wish we had the means of the internet etc back then as it would have been rated the best speedway in the country at the time.

8. 28eagle

28eagle Registered

My Father helped to build the origanal track and facilities at Murray Bridge.My Brother and i were raised at the track,dad was helping do every thing, mum was running the canteen's,so we were there all the time. Back then it was different,you didn't have the pubs & clubs they do now, so the speedway was the place to be for socializing,even during the week.I remember every Sunday we would go to the track to help clean up and us kids would get out of the car and go straight to the canteens because the lights weren't that flash and people would drop money out their pockets and we would go find it in the morning.
    Some of the drivers i remember of the time were,Harry Mcphee, Lou Fabbian, Peter Merritt,Trevor Muir,Rolo Hein,then in the 70 & 80's there was Dean Wright, Graham Mason, Des Obst, Rob Jarvis,Graham Cowland.They were great days at Murray Bridge.

9. spiderweb

spiderweb Registered

I remember my first trip to Murray Bridge I was 16 (1976) i rode a honda cb125 from pt Adelaide up the callington hill diddnt think it was going to make it. Froze my ***s off on the way home. I can still remmember the names you mentioned Graham Cowlands black eh holden with flames belching out the exhaust on 3 wheels all the way around,Stock Rods as they used to be King lui Fabian, The atmosphere was the closest to rowley Park that i know still is on a good night.
    28 eagle can you tell me what year the bridge started??

10. blue95

blue95 Registered

Been going to Newcastle speedway since I can remember. And when I was young hanging around Darrell Farrelly's workshop, his black number 15 wedge car is the first racecar I can remember.

11. hutcho

hutcho Registered

It is with reget , but i can remember going thru the turnsiles on my dads shoulders at Parramatta , Cumberland Oval.I think Brabham run a midget & Aub Lawson solos.At the interval breaks there was a demo run by 2 young kids. 1 on small solo,i think Cec Platt who later did a demo run on this bike ,at liverpool in the 80's when i was running . The other was a small midget but i have never found out who it was for sure? My favourites at the time were the Skid Kids ,27 inch front wheel & 20in rear .Definately put the pedal down

12. eagle42

eagle42 Registered

mine was Rowley Pk. I was part of the annual exodus from Broken Hill each year to Largs Bay and went every year for about ten years. Quite a few Hillites did exactly the same thing. I was about 5yo first time. I can still remember a lot of the names of the era...late 50's to late 60's. I have followed speedway all over australia since but nothing ever came close to the way Rowley Pk put on a show.

13. dale30

dale30 Premium Member

I will need some old fart to help me here.

It was about 1960? at melbourne's original speedway at maribarnong, Its now a soccer field.Remember seeing Nippa Lacey.What was it called.????
    Then we started going to Brooklyn when i was about11 or 12, Thats when the bug bit.

14. Oscar

Oscar Peter Physick

Some older fart than I told me it was Tracey's Speedway.

15. *FIGJAM*KRW

*FIGJAM*KRW Registered

When was the Melbourne speedbowl around???

16. dale30

dale30 Premium Member

Thats it thanks for that

17. dale30

dale30 Premium Member

Brooklyn speedway changed names to melbourne speedbowl in the early eightys i think it was.It stayed that way until it was closed down by the drive in next door..

18. SAGR8

SAGR8 Guest

From what I can remember Friday night was Speedway night at Speedway Park. Every friday night we would be in the City Stand on turn 2. Used to love big Sprintcar night with events like Scotcher Stampede, SA Title, Tucker Marathon. Drivers like Barrows, Aylesbury, Deussen, Porter, Burford, Hodgson, March. I remember every Fri night being a full house. The Speedcars were also massive back then with like 25 cars on a normal night with Dillon, Boulger, March (Phil & Trevor), Herreen, Gilbert, Green. Super Sedans, Street Stocks, F500s all had big numbers. I liked the Solos and Sidecars on nights with the cars as well i miss that. The occasional appearance of the Hot Rods in Adelaide was wicked as well. Having it on tv was cool. MB was great back in those days 2 on Sat nights. I remember sitting on the concrete watching the Bikes, Formulas etc. How times have changed. Speedway in SA then was massive.

19. Jezza

Jezza Registered

it was claremont I was 6 and the genral was kicking ____ big time

20. Jezza

Jezza Registered

it was called melboure city speedbowl lived next door and had fee entry every night it was on