1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first SPEEDWAY experiance?

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by spiderweb, Mar 5, 2005.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
  1. 28eagle

28eagle Registered

28 eagle can you tell me what year the bridge started??[/QUOTE]

Sorry Spiderweb i was just going back over this thread and noticed your question.MB's first season was in 1958-59 season.2005-06 they will be cellabrating 47 yrs if my maths is ok

2. D REAL NO FEAR

D REAL NO FEAR Registered

The old man use to race at rowley park, timmis,an renmark before they had hand building broken hill speedway. Me an the young pup dingo use to throw stones at each other in the carpark as yougins. remember havin to go out with mum an dad to clean out the **** pans. maybe old ( and i'll use the term loosely) hill billy would remember that.

3. penrith 1

penrith 1 Platinum Member

Would have to say, Sydney Showground was my first visit as a very younging .Then attended the best speedway I believe in sydney metro, Liverpool, I use to sneak in sometimes, sometimes got caught,I lived just down the road.I was very much a fan of Walter Giles, geez he was good, anyone know what happened to him?

4. Tatnell Fan

Tatnell Fan Registered

Mine was Liverpool Speedway when i was 7 days old and then i have gone to Parramatta when i was 4 and haven't been to another track ever sinces

5. hunter

hunter Platinum Member

Last i heard of Walter Giles he was crewing for a NASCAR team in the states.

6. Turn One Judge

Turn One Judge Registered

Jeez , this is a HUGE ask !!!! Even though I know I had been to the Speedway for years earlier with my parents , Windsor , Westmead , etc. , my first REAL memory thats will stick in my mind FOREVER , is walking in under the Sinclair Stand at the Showground , at a Saturday afternoon start meeting , [don't know what year , have to check my programs] , & seeing Butterworth hot lapping the Mackay Offy !!!! The beginning of the end for me !!!! My dad ended up crewing for the crunch , & the rest is history as far as I am concerned!!

7. reid22

reid22 Registered

the first time i went to a speedway was back in 1993 when i was around 6 years old and it was here in rockhampton. and i guess the thing that comes to mind from that was watching rodney gough in his black corvette racing in the super sedans. it was shocking how fast that car was. im pretty sure he won every heat and the feature aswell. it was a mile quicker then anything around back then and i guess seeing that car race was the reason i kept going back again and again.

8. feedawheel

feedawheel Registered

My first speedway meeting was at the Sydney Showground as a kid of about 6yo & was bitten on the spot & here at 52yo I'm still hooked, I've enjoyed time as offical,driver & crew for all types solos, sidecars, midgets, sedans, super mods etc.

I can't see my love of the sport ever fading. :oldman:

9. commodore6

commodore6 Registered

I been going to the speedway since i was born. I can remember when i was 4 or 5 going to Newcastle speedway back then it was Jirably park in those days been built. I loved going to watch Garry Bevan, Paul Mckew, Brain Burrell and manly to see the yanks it all brings back good old memories.

10. pcr bunny

pcr bunny Registered

I have been going since I was a few months old, born in 73. I can remember going to sydney showground and hiking up the stairs to sit in the huge stands, and falling asleep on the plastic chairs.
    And I have been going ever since.
    Meet my hubby at speedway, he used to race then lost interest, but now he stays home with the family while I hit TPCR every week with my regular gang of methanol maniacs friends.

11. magee

magee Registered

My first Speedway memory was at the Gympie Showground..The racing in those days consisted of Gnat cars with locals Noel Atkinson, Des Brunjes and Stan Knox along with numerous visitors from around the Wide Bay-South Burnett region, supported by stock bikes ridden by the Les Neucom, Artie Spedding and Geoff Burton, and visitors of the calibre of Bill Sewell and Barry Rattray. Mothar Mountain Speedway soon became the home of Gympie Speedway. Some great saloon car drivers of that era were Stan Knox, Joe Wilcox, Trevor Groundwater and Jack Alford along with Tom Jennings, Mal Jocumsen and Peter Doyle. Mothar Mountain was a unique circuit and a ‘Great place to race’

I was 7yo when I first experienced speedway and got to help in the pits cleaning goggles etc. (long before tear-offs became fashionable). I was hooked and now, 50 years on, I still get intoxicated by the sights and sounds and smells of Speedway.

12. pinkbitsracing

pinkbitsracing Registered

I have been to the speedway since i was born too back in the old Forrestfield and Wattlegrove days where my dad (Les North) was racing Sprintcars or sedans i think i'm not sure i can't remember back then as i was just a baby lol....

Then when i was 17 i think my dad brought a speedcar off Tony Giancola and i started crewing for him.... We did our first show at Kalgoorlie speedway with the speedcar and then on a practice day i got behind the wheel of his speedcar for the first time.... That was fun..

Then after that we went to Bibra Lake speedway for the first time and i drove the car again and it was the biggest high light cos i went out there with the Australia's number one at the time which was Mike Figliomeni.....

Then we went to Ellenbrook speedway for the first time and i drove the car in the races on the day and picked up a few 2nd's and 3rd's maybe some mite have been 1st's too.....

Then after that he built me a car and i won the second season overall points and he was proud....

I can say this much if it wasn't for my dad i would be where i am today and i don't know what i would do when he's gone.....

13. SteveV

SteveV Registered

Hedon Greta, 1972 or 3, super modifieds and sedans, the smell of chiko rolls and racing fuel, it fills me with nostagia when I walk into a track and get a wiff of the deep fried food cooking at the canteen and racing fuel filling the air.

My memories of the racing action are fading but a modified sponsored by Berrie fruit juice sticks in my mind, the lights reflecting off the shiney paintwork, the sound of a bunch of V8's (and a few hot sixes) roaring past

Great times.

14. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Registered

watching sid moore drive a sprintcar the first time I went to the speedway did it for me.

15. StevenG

StevenG Guest

1965 Sydney Showground

16. Tatnell Fan

Tatnell Fan Registered

1988 i was one week old and went to liverpool speedway

17. MsSpeedwayFreak

MsSpeedwayFreak Guest

Was in about 1982 at Broken Hill Speedway watching the solos and can remember my sister and I hiding under a blanket everytime they went past to stop getting hit with mud and rocks!!!!!

18. Darcy

Darcy I'm Still Here!

i'll let yous no when i have that experiance?

19. *FIGJAM*KRW

*FIGJAM*KRW Registered

Is Jeff Fenech in the house???

20. Piezza

Piezza Registered

was about 6 weeks old and was at the old Moe speedway in victoria. Still sum old videos of the racin at moe and other victorian tracks from the early 2 late 80's.