1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first SPEEDWAY experiance?

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by spiderweb, Mar 5, 2005.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
  1. eagle42

eagle42 Registered

for me it was when I was old enough to pedal my pushbike to the Old Aerodrome Circuit at Broken Hill, where I remember seeing one "Spotty" Bourke riding a twin engined Vincent sidecar ably supported by Des "Tiger" Bath. Also remember a young guy called Don Prettijohn from Adelaide carving up the solo ranks that day. I last saw Spot a couple of years ago in an honorary capacity ay Olympic Pk. Scrambles....the old equivalent of motocross was in support and I remember a guy called Bob Veaumard ( I think that was his name) taking a lot of glory on a new generation Bultaco while the likes of Tiger Bath were still riding modified Triumph Tigers.

2. PWDirtMan

PWDirtMan Platinum Member

Bikes at Olymic Park, Dad crewed 4 Phil Sedgman(solos) saw Phil Crump start his career on a BSA, tore em up, followed bikes 4 years, as u did in Mildura. Then had relies get involved with Timmis!!! Got an interest in 4 wheels as a speckledtater. then had another relie buy a car, took on pit crew. Moved out of town and bought my own car, by this time I had been bitten by the bug, it was in the blood, has anyone found a cure??? hope not, raced 4 15 years, become a scrutineer earlier on. Now retired from racing(right foot still has an itch) still scrut and man the hill (god I wish I could control that right foot!!!)

3. dizzykt

dizzykt Registered

Nah Dingo Kids def still there......I get swamped by them every meeting....will pass the give aways onto ya next met and you'll soon find the kids again....they love it....

My first speedway experience used to be goin to the Solo's with old man and bro sittin right on the corner in turn 1 n always got sprayed......then wen my best friend's bro decided to build a Streetie, I put on my Crazy Kid shirt for the first race meetin and have never looked back!!!!:bunny:

4. *FIGJAM*KRW

*FIGJAM*KRW Registered

Is`nt it amazing how many people had first experiences that Involved Bikes

5. Worsley

Worsley Platinum Member

Mine doesn't.

Been a youngin still- i can't remember all that far back- but I remember the following from when I was about 5

Saturday night- PCR on the steel seats.

Jason gates in the #25 Darley's Meats car

The phantom on Tatnell's car (was about at eye level)

I know it isnt all that exciting, but I can just remember them.

6. XR8

XR8 Platinum Member

My father who used to race motorcycles in NZ (retired racing in 1963), Scrambles, street curcuit, trials, beach racing, hill climbs,( same bike different setups,( 350 Triumph), took us to Western Springs to watch the solo's sidecars and midgets. Ivan Mauger Ollie Olson. Didn't know any midget drivers, although they ended up on the concrete veladrome track upside down in front of you.
    Came to Australia attended Sydney showground, Liverpool speedway, Tatnell, Pinchbeck, Ron MacKay, Ian MacKay, John Church, Danny Davidson, Barry Butterworth, Barry Graham, Giles, and a host of others can't remember all their names.
    Friday night at Parramatta, then off to Archerfield for sat night racing, got lost going through Gold coast on way home and ended up heading back to Brisbane, quick U turn back to Sydney sunday night, work monday morning Whew!!!
    Newcastle speedway, dirt,tar, back to dirt.
    Had a turn in midget ( PCR Tralee Gunnedah Newcastle), no good, crewed for various teams, now sons racing.
    Please bury me under turn 3-4 any speedway, so I can feel the racing when I'm gone!!!

7. Cinders

Cinders Registered

What great stories. It seems that once we attend a speedway meeting it seems to get into the blood and we keep on going. My first memory was watching a solo rider rear at the start (not sure if it was Wentworth Park or Sydney Sportsground), anyway he fell from his machine and when he took off his helmet all these blonde curls tumbled out hence Graham Warren became a favourite, then for many years I only attended scrambles and road racing, etc until 1963 when I returned to the sport at Sydney Showground and have been going ever since. I have to say that the sixties were the best years of speedway entertainment for me, personally.
    (Must add that my father took my mother on their first date to a speedway meeting and she wore a white dress with white gloves!!!! He forgot to mention the dirt.)

8. spiderweb

spiderweb Registered

Has anyone seen the movie 'The worlds fastest Indian" New movie saw a quick add on the tv not speedway but seems to be on the land speed record for bikes? just wondering if its any good?

9. Cinders

Cinders Registered

Have been told it's great. Can't wait to see it.

10. cranky_milhouse

cranky_milhouse Registered

I was conceived at the Speedway, does that count?

11. kk_krissy

kk_krissy Registered

My first speedway experience, waz 1974, my father n uncle were riding solo's at Action Park, Maryborough. God knows where else they dragged us off too! :cool:

12. dizzy

dizzy Registered

since i was born, do remember goin to watch a mate bouf harrison race alot at archerfield along time ago

13. AmcaBlue

AmcaBlue Registered

To Dale30

Melbourne's original speedway @ Maribrynong was called 'Traceys Speedway'.
    The guys then moved on to Brooklyn Speedway, later known as Western Speedway & The Speedbowl. Terrific racing & memories.

Cheers
    Glenda

14. OOOPS

OOOPS Registered

Why would you to want a cure?????:frown: :confused:

15. Dale61

Dale61 Registered

My first speedway experience was also at Brooklyn, and I vividly remember Phil Crump doin' his thing on a solo. I had just reached double figures, age wise, so speedway didn't take at that time.

However, I went back to Brooklyn a few more times before heading up to Darwin in '76, and it was the old Bagot Park that 'bit' me, and I took on a role as an official.

I held various officials roles over a 20 year period until I moved to Queensland in '97, where soon after, I became the SE Qld correspondent for SRN, as well as being an official at Yandina. I also took pics at Gympie and Kingaroy during my stint with SRN.

I've been trying to get back into speedway, as an official, now that I'm back living in Victoria (Geelong), and I've contacted both Avalon and RTR, but neither have replied, so they must have plenty of experienced officials on their rosters.

Been to one meeting in the last 4 years, but after all my years as an official, I just don't enjoy it from the spectator side of the fence.

16. Cinders

Cinders Registered

If you've got an officials licence I cannot understand why track is not jumping through hoops to get you on board, trackside. Officials a becoming fewer and fewer in NSW, especially in motorcycle events because MNSW are far too tough when it comes to renewing licences.

17. Dale61

Dale61 Registered

Cinders, neither track didn't even bother to reply to my email, even if just to acknowledge the fact that I was interested.

18. aussisbloke

aussisbloke Registered

The first time and my best race was to drive the first stock car 113 a claremont and to win the first race for stock cars and got $20 for the win big money (A)

19. 2xtv

2xtv Registered

Jerlidree Park, Tomago NSW about 1974 or 75 solo bikes, Bob Valentine, Phil Herne and Billy Sanders going around................

20. Gordon Midolo

Gordon Midolo Registered

my first memory of speedway was when my dad took me to a track in Melbourne,dont know what the track was called but had a dam in the middle and was cut into a hill,was hooked from there .When i was older the family went to the ekka brisbane,a show of bikes then cars-great entertainment,my favorites were the open sedans-big al Butcher,ian marshall-awsome stuff- sundays were a special day as we used to go to the old track at Caboolture-great racing on a sump oil track,never a dust problem there . - 40YRS OLD AND STILL HOOKED-