1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favourite Competitor?

Discussion in 'The History Channel' started by Mudstix, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Mudstix

Mudstix Registered

I would be interested to read who were the favourite riders or drivers with WA fans over the past 40 years. This covers the Motorplex, Claremont, Bunbury and all the winter & country speedways. This can include international and interstate visitors. Remember, they don't have to be the best, just your favourites.

2. Torana18

Torana18 Registered

Laurie Hardy in the blue monaro, not just a favourite the best sedan driver from the Claremont days. Robyn

3. whitegiraffe

whitegiraffe Registered

Aah the memories! How many can one have? Chum 'the master', 'charger' Geneve, 'wild one' Murphy and 'the magic man' Figliomeni.

4. blowfly68

blowfly68 Registered

where do i start...... mark drew/tina karan , tom watson jnr , shane murphy , glen & nathan obrien , rob (frosty)urwin , michael figliomeni , barry blake , glyn taylor , louis russell , renae watson.... just a few.

5. SM21

SM21 Registered

Way too many.
    Laurie Hardy, Leo Gommers, Mick Trimble, AJ Nylander, Mighty Mick McKeon, Noel & Ian Bradford, Stan Starcevich, The Dennis`s Nash & Mortimer................................

#71 Registered

Brad Blake. I've admired him since the day I met him, when I was 7 years old. Legend back then, still kicking a$$ now...

7. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Registered

Bill Barrows was always my favourite Sprintcar driver (wasn't he most people's favourite?). The 1986 Scotcher Stampede where he crashed in his final heat but his crew repaired the car in time for the Final was magic to watch. Danny Smith was dominating until Barrows drove through the field and left Smith for dead. I'll never forget the roar from the crowd as he passed the American. I didn't mind watching Rushy, Max and GT either and was happy when I saw George win the Aussie Sprintcar Championship at Speedway park in 1988.

Again showing my South Aussie bias, I have two favourite Speedcar drivers. Phil March and Phil Herreen. I unfortunately missed seeing Herreen win the Aussie title in 1992, but I saw March win his in 1986. He was simply untouchable on those two nights. I was also a big fan of Sleepy Tripp. When he won the old 40 Lap Speedcar Derby in 1983.....the local hotshots in March, Herreen, Bill Wigzell, Terry Wigzell, Dean Hogarth, Peter Maltby.....they couldn't get near him.

I only ever saw him once at the 1992 Aussie titles, but that was enough. South Australia had some very good Super Sedan drivers, but none were better than Grenville Anderson. If not for a crash with a lapped car in his final heat that caused enough damage for him to be a non-factor in the Final, he would have walked it in (it was won by Brad Scotcher). Grenville was simply a class above.

I was a fan of too many bike riders to mention, but the main ones were Shane Parker, Shane Bowes, Ryan Sullivan, Leigh Adams and Phil Crump.