1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on chassis and engines

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by TMF, Apr 18, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

TMF l beleive young Kevins Troyer car is for sale at a real good price, as for a engine you dont need 600HP to have a good run but it sure does not hurt.The problem with the Aussie built stuff is that you cannot ring a supplier and get replacement parts as you can with JBR & Beothers, and unless you have the time and machines to make it yourself its cheaper to buy allready tested parts, l have been down that track and l will drive you nuts.But just come along and ask every one questions and maybe get on a crew and learn the ins & outs before you throw yourself in the deep end.

2. TMF

TMF Registered

wise words from many, thanks everyone. lets talk engines if we can.

whats the brand to have, chev, windsor, clevo or mopar?

3. robferr

robferr Registered

the weapon of Choice is Chev with the odd Windsor i have seen a holden or two in my time but for $$$$ Chev is the best bang for your BUCKS

4. TMF

TMF Registered

having a chev motor when your a forn man, thats tough.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

that should be Ford

5. watch the fast

watch the fast Registered

tyso has a motor that will put you at the front of the field,im sure it would of been the bigest chev in the field ,all new never raced ,built buy a leading super car team ,its on utube under" mod dyno " i know hes keen to buy a open motor for another class ,his mob is 0412793179 ,id be quick tho his container leaves this week and 'im sure he'd want to put a big block in that

6. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

TMF the chev is the best value for money and is around 35 KG lighter then the ford, The main thing to look for in a engine is a good engine block, for 15 K you will get a good strong used motor with good gear but do your home work you can get burnt.If you have any engine questions Ed from Sport Egines on the coast would help.If its a ford your keen on KRE engines might be the man to talk to l think he builds Mark Robbos motors and alot of the top sprintcar motors, like l said before get on a crew you will soon find out whats around,

7. chev_fan

chev_fan Registered

ive been looking on my105 and if your going to spend say 20 on a chassis and 15 on and engine.why not spend the extra 5 and by the #52 bicknell with engine.im pretty sure its only done one season and gave peter a run in the aussie title in W.A according to the last 10 laps on youtube anyway.But as everyone says obviously yes troyers are very fast on australain soil at the moment.

8. the joker

the joker Registered

to chucky 72 scotty my australian made stuff is a exact copy of a bicknell by boetchers as you know and runs all bicknell stuff exactly the same as a bicknell and other than the chassis being made in this country you would not know the diffrence as the chassis and dimesions are identical and my car and components being all bicknell products being a lot newer than all the second hand yanky cars coming in containers and being called new bicknells as for old mate buying a svo windsor for 10k good luck you will be lucky to get a good set of secondhand cylinder heads for that be real and tell the man the truth

9. robferr

robferr Registered

Well i think what your saying is absolutly unbelieveable......... Im shocked you meen Boettchers are ripping us off selling us used crap not new like we paid for I think we better get a current affair out here to break the story.
    And another thing you are quoting your own chassis If what your saying is true maybe you measured one of boettchers used ( new Bicknells ) I dont remember any one here saying you can buy a Windsor for 10K and you talk about telling the truth :)

10. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

The Joker l can only comment on the chassis that l have been involved with and worked on as l havent seen a joker l cannot comment.what sort of dollars are your frames?Do they come with a setup booklet like the US cars? can you buy spare body panels and nerf bars of the shelf?How many Joker Chassis are running in Aust?Have they won any major racers against the US cars?Do you have a web site where we can get a look at your deal?

11. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

the joker,Andrew l took your last post as you were building frames, sorry my mistake

12. watch the fast

if youre switched on you can make anything work ,get a 3 to 6 g roller out of america,you can get more than enough info from troyer ,teo bicknell to get you on the right track the rest is all judgments made on the given night to suit track conditions etc ,and get a new motor not someone elses used "up" one .crewing for other guys will only teach you bad habits and get you involved with people you want to beat ,run youre own race beacuse the better they know you the more they'll hate you if youre successful.you can never have enough motor ,but the changes made to say a teo over a ten year period are minimal,you can more than make up for that if youre smooth.stay focused on youre car and remember every wanker at the track knows how to make youre car faster just not their own ,take all advice with a grain of salt and do youre own thing and never let any one else spanner on youre car ,just you and youre crew and you'll do fine .

13. chev_fan

chev_fan Registered

i have to disagree with you watch the fast. I think speaking to different teams at the track will benefit. Most teams are there to win sure but alot of them are more then happy to help the new guy out and adding another competitive car to the class.Quote "crewing for other guys will only teach you bad habits and get you involved with people you want to beat". As for this when a newbie is on the scene and is having trouble chasing setup i know numerous teams will help the guy out with advice to get the car back on track

14. watch the fast

depends if you want to be a field filler or a winner i guess,my point is you can get a basic set up that will get you around from a descent chassis manufacturer ,what works for me might not work for you beacuse of differences in driving style ,where you like to drive on the track ,gearing you run,etc ,i know plenty of guys that have lost their way due to bad advice ,the science of a chassis cant be learned in a drunken conversation at the bar ,or under the pressure of a saturday night to perform or get a wreck back on the track ,its learnt on those 12 oclock nights in the shed buy youreself .

15. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

if this young guy is coming from karts good chance his crew would be, now tell them to go out on the track and set the car up, good luck. the poor basted driving wont know if it is him or the car.every one needs help unless you are a freak.

16. watch the fast

you putting youre hand up to help then ? if so good on you, what im trying to say is you dont need to bombard the guy with advice ,especialy when 90% of it isnt right ,you probably need to pick bits and pieces from someone fast, not a day dreamer that thinks he knows.you cant tell me anyone with half a brain cant get a bicknell set up book and apply it to a chassis,i recently had a experience with someone from youre class dishing out advice at the track ,when he walked away i told the guy in question to disregard everything he just heard ,because it was all crap and this applies to every class not just dm's.if you do everything for someone and make changes with out explanation of what it does to a chassis ,it wont help this guy much.i saw a guy that recently raced with you in the pits at bis and as a casual observer every man and there dog were giving advice and most of it contradicted what the other was saying ,are you saying this is help ,i think its a hindrance personally ,and the above opinions are from my own personal experience to give this guy another view point .either way good luck in the mods im sure you'll have a blast

17. watch the fast

and back to the original question ,id go a teo with a adjustable rack if you can get one and if money is a concern with motors a ford will make cheaper power all day 10deg heads stock etc ,i know a guy making a descent 11.5 comp combo in the states with the new svo blocks ,ls2 slugs for a good clean burn(flat tops) no valve relief beacuse of the 10 deg heads ,chev rods , reliable descent hp and torque for a 1/3 of the cost of a descent chevy ,you'd get a car for under 30g ready to go that way .can some one tell me if mods are allowed to run race gas as well as alky after the last rule revise ?

18. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

why not ,if the guy wants to tag along he is more than welcome. car 15 in brisbane next meeting.we are learning the new cars as much as anyone.

19. klwathen

klwathen Registered

Well Watch the Fast, that is your personal experience. In modifieds we are all friendly and willing to help anyone out all they need to do is ask. Maybe TMF you should go around and chat to everyone with the different chassis and see what they have to say the likes of Garry Wathen/ Scott Conlin (Bicknell), Paul Britten (Troyer)and Mark Robinson (Teo) would be happy to talk to you about their brand of chassis. Everyone would be willing to give you advise. Maybe some of it might not be all correct but everyone is learning and some of us are more experienced in modifieds then others, but you will find this out after coming along and chatting to everyone. Look forward to seeing you there.

20. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

watch the fast, the ford you speak of what is on worth landed here?and what sort of numbers?