1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on chassis and engines

Discussion in 'Dirt Mods' started by TMF, Apr 18, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. robferr

robferr Registered

The question about race gas No you cant METHANOL only !!!!!!!!!!!! sorry

2. TMF

TMF Registered

HHmmm seems quite interesting to read peoples views, some back ground, Raced bikes for 2 years, then raced karts for 2 years, had to stop due to knee surgery twice last year, first year, 2nd in QLD 2007, 2008 Gold Coast Kart Club champion, im not so young at 29, crew well, My old man with 30 years of speedway racing, my wife and myself. At this stage i have come across a set back with funding not being released yet. Im a spectator for another month atleast. So this gives me more time to get my fitness level back where it was.

Many Thanks for all the info

3. TOA57Y

TOA57Y Registered

Hey mate

Don't count out the Aussie cars yet. I'm in a new BM Engineering and find it quite comparable to the Troyers (only us car i've driven). I think, throw the likes of the Britten boys, Robbo, Pezzutti or any of the other front runners into my car and they'd have it up the front in no time. I just don't have the experience or guts to try some of the moves they make but i'm working on it.

Our only down fall is being the first car out of the workshop, no data to work with. But we've found the Troyer and Bicknell data to be quite useful as the BM is modelled off most of the US Chassis.

4. scatvw88

scatvw88 Registered

hi tmf,just buy the best secondhand car with spares you can afford,pull the engine down beforehand,an honest seller will not object(may have to pay a deposit to cover) forget the tricky stuff for the first season,just set it up straight & true,get the weights right,proper alignment,play only with rear stagger,correct torsion bars & decent shocks& gear ratios,then go & learn something every race,you will have a car that will go anywhere on the track,start playing with more than a couple of minor adjustments will only confuse you,you will have enough to learn playing in the dirt,plenty of fun to be had in that club. ENJOY. (stick with a chev mate,simple engine,less weight over the front than a ford)

5. TMF

TMF Registered

yes there will be lots to learn, just like karting, change more than 1 thing at a time and you dont know which one made the differance. I think a Chev it will be, Chassis not sure.

Thanks again for all the comments.

6. buttsecks

buttsecks Registered

I seem to remember Stuart Herne winning manny titles in the BM cars, even think at one point Timmy Morse had a 12 second lap record at Lismore and that was an aussie car. Nothing wrong with them!.

7. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

YEP YOU ALL SURE DID MAKE ME FEEL ALL WARM AND FUZZY,got backstabed to death before you all even knew what i looked like ,i had a blast

8. mod17

mod17 Platinum Member

John can you please stop trying to bring the V8 Dirt Modifieds down. We are more than happy to help any one coming into the division!!!! There are numerous people who could have sent you on the right path if you had of just asked!

As for the back stabing I don't konw how you could have got that with out not even having a car on the track?

Anyway
    The V8 Dirt Modifieds are only getting stronger car counts and is great to see so manny interested poeple in the division!!:)

If any one has any Questions I am more than happy to try and answer them or put you on to the people that can.
    I Know most of the cars for sale in QLD.

Luke Oldfield #17
    QV8DMA President

Phone :0407007952

9. Super G

Super G Registered

And in Western Australia you can contact me to enquire about cars that are for sale at very reasonable prices.
    Or for copies of specifications, rules, club contacts etc.
    I totally agree with Luke and and see nothing but great times Australiawide for the division.

Greg McKay
    Western Australia
    0408 909 120

10. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

doing nothing of the sort luke ,as a matter of fact i wish the division all the best ,i have never tried to bring youre show down at all ever where did you get that from ?,and youre right i never had the thing on the track does that matter ?i made a decision to go in another direction that suits me . a recent interaction just fueled my fire and resulted in me writing the above comment ,i dont need or ever want "help" im more than capable .

11. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

and i bet the old s$%t stirrer chestnut will bob to the surface again ,my take on that is if someone feeds me a complete load of b.s. and expects me to believe it and i dont ,then i guess i am just that .:birthday:

12. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

Tyson, the motor you have for sale can we have some details? price, figers and what type of bits.

13. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

do you really think its worth me taking the time scott ?

14. chev_fan

chev_fan Registered

jesus mate, what was said to upset you this way?

15. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

you see damien i have a very nice brand new dirt modified "spec motor " that was built as a pet project buy a couple of guys that are involved in the" motorsport school of excellence"thats where a lot of the v8 supercar apprentices do their practical ,well the idea was that everyone thinks it undoable to make 650 hp with 23 deg heads ,we made that and more on a untweaked superflow dyno in thin air ,if we put the settings in (that is for better air so the dyno basicly reads as tho its at the gold coast) it makes around the 680 mark with a good flat strong torque curve .and thats where the problem started .utube under ' mod dyno 'and look basicly it worked out that this show didnt realy suit me so i just moved on with out a drama.i couldnt work out why there was no interest in this motor when it was for sale ,i mean their paying 20 to 25 for something that has 500 to 550 hp on the 2nd and 3rd freshen and needing its 4th i would have sold this for 30 brand new.but for no reason a few of these guys take it on them self to rubbish and bag something they havent even seen and hey i can take the knocks with the best of them but this was just unacceptable from people that wouldnt know the slightest bit about me and in fact have yet to prove their worth ,but that isnt to say it has anything to do with v8 dirt modifieds as a whole ,as a matter of fact the guy that this post is about ,i will help you for free ,have a hell of a lot of cpu soft ware roll centre calculators anti squat etc etc and more importantly i know how to use them plus every set up tool you can think of ,if you got the car ,the motor and the budget to run up the front im there ,

16. coletrickle

coletrickle Registered

You have had your say ,you sound like a bit of a guna .Hope you have fun with your next project .

17. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

John is the motor still for sale or not? l would think this is a good place to sell something that is related the dirt modifieds.Anyway we have a HP what sort of torque and dollars? you might be suprised who is looking for what, but suit yourself but not everyone is against something different.

18. circle jerk

circle jerk Registered

its for sale scott 530 ftlbs @4000 rpm then drops off to 475 ft lbs at 7250 rpm but revs to 8500 .it has a dart SHP block bored 40 tho over stock now heres the bit where common scence comes in ,a shp block is 40 lbs lighter than a little m so to my way of thinking i would rather have that 40 lbs to put where i wanted it in the chassis ,callies 38lbs crank compstar rods ,je gasported pistons ,olsen bros alum dry sump pan weaverbros dry sump pump 4 stage ,tci balancer ,quick time flex plate ,kse tandem alky and steer pump ,very small racing 50 amp alternator ,rsh heads ,sodium filled stainless exh ,del west titanium intakes ,isky tool room springs retainers and collets ,crower sever duty lifters ,comp roller ,jessel pro series shaft mount rockers.jessel elite series belt drive with cover .victor tall with custom built cars (see add in for sale section .rhs heads (320 cfm) 640 hp at 600 tho ,ice ignititon system ,no pipes .both pumps driven off a mandrel at the front of the motor ,also has a dash 20 meziere water pump

---------- Post added at 7:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:08 AM ----------

thanks for the happy wishes super star

19. watch the fast

watch the fast Registered

you got that all wrong ,i have seen him help countless racers out for nothing.

20. Chucky72

Chucky72 Registered

John the dart shp block that you used what is the most you can bore them? 4 1/8 like the little M as l dont know or have seen of that range of block.What was the reason for going 40 tho over on the first build, trying to unshroud the valves?Are you still asking 30K?